Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dad's Retirement


Yes that says retirement. I'm still in shock that in just a few days, my Dad will be retired. If you know my Dad, he doesn't seem like the retired type. At all. But after 35+ years in the real estate tax industry, I think he had finally had his fill.

So last week, the boys and I were able to go to one of the many retirement parties being held in his honor. This one was at the local office in Texas where I got to see many people I have known since I was a kid. Kind of surreal going with my own two kids to my Dad's RETIREMENT party.

I won't be able to go to the Corporate Office parties next week, so it was a treat to hear from many that have worked with him 10-20+ years. Several went around the room and offered thoughts on Dad.

Of course some of the comments were pretty funny (and so true) about his redundancy and directness. ("At any rate.") Some were about his love of music and many were about his work ethic and success. He was described as "a legend in the industry" and someone who led the way in many areas. And it was great to hear so many say how they have enjoyed seeing a new side of Rick come out since he has had grandchildren. Several of the staff came up to me and said it was obvious how much he loves his family.

Surely that's the achievement that means the most.







Kind of crazy that this career of his started back in 1975 when he had just graduated from UC Berkeley but couldn't find a job in California with his Social Work degree. So he packed up everything he had and moved to Houston for an entry-level job at a mortgage company. Who would've guessed he'd be where he is now in 2011?

So now the big question is what will he do? Not sure if he even knows the answer yet (although I can NOT imagine him just sitting around for very long). But I'm pretty sure if you're anywhere in the area this summer, there is a particular pool in Hurst that will have a permanent resident.

Congratulations, Dad! We are all proud of you and excited for this next chapter in your life!

2 comments:

Andrews Hayes said...

Happy daddy, really! And I like how you guys define retirement,

"After climbing the mountain, you can appreciate the view."

That's absolutely TRUE!

Cara Larose said...

Wow! Now that I've thought about it, the phrase "after climbing the mountain, you can appreciate the view," is really true. And seeing how your dad is really happy, I guess it's safe to say that the party was a success.