Monday, January 27, 2014

Back-to-School Blessing Night

A couple weeks before school started, our Small Group had a Back-to-School Blessing Night for the school-age kids in our group. It was a very sweet night. So bummed that a few in the group couldn't make it, but I look forward to this being an annual tradition. And we will probably have double the kids up there next year with several new families that have joined our group.

For each kid that was going into Kindergarten and older, they would come up front and get to sit in the special chair.
The parents would share with them some sort of blessing, charge, or encouragement for the year to come. Yes it was a little uncomfortable and maybe embarrassing. But it was important that they hear those words. And it was important for us as parents to share those words. Something about them being said out loud and in front of other people, make them sound louder and stronger for some reason.
Wade read our blessing to Tate, so I got out of crying that way. But then I read this letter to all of the kids. Could barely finish it. Such a great reminder for the kids...and parents...about what really matters.
And another important reason for doing this is to remind each of the kids that in addition to their own parents, they are surrounded by other adults who care about them and want to invest into their lives as well. They are surrounded by a network of support, prayer, and love. A hard concept to get, but with each year I think it will sink in more and more.
I continue to be incredibly thankful for this hodgepodge (said with love, of course) group of friends and the great kids they have.

No comments: