Some other highlights of the summer:
While I was in Haiti, Daddy & Tate got to go see the long-awaited movie, Cars 2. It was a hit.
Our Small Group at church created a Good Samaritan Fund several years ago. It has been a great tool to use to bless those in need around us. We contribute to the fund throughout the year and then as needs come up with those in our group or those in our community, we have the resources available right then and there to help. So once a year, our group has a Garage Sale to raise more money for the fund. It's very possible much of the money raised was from our superstar helpers and donut/lemonade salespeople. This year the sale was at our house, and we made $650! Not too bad at all, especially considering it was completely last minute and there really weren't many big ticket items. One person's junk is another's treasure.
While Shannon and her kids were in town, we met up with our longtime family friends, the Barberenas. We call where they live a farm. I don't know if it fully meets farm criteria, but it's on a big piece of land with several live animals. In our suburban world, that's a farm. The kids loved feeding the animals carrots and listening to the donkey make its hee-haw noise very loudly. Kind of crazy that this is the family we took trips with when we were small kids, and now those same kids have kids...7 total. Fun night!
Also while I was in Haiti, I signed up Tate for a local half-day Art Camp. I had no idea how it would go. Tate isn't really that into arts & crafts. He will do them if they're there, but he hurries through it as quick as he can usually. But it was a great deal on Groupon, and we're always looking for different indoor activities when it's so hot in the summer. And let's be honest, I don't have to clean up the mess. :)
I was pleased with how much he enjoyed it. He later explained to me how first they painted the sky, then the grass, then the trees, etc. My mother-in-law (who is quite the talented artist herself) picked him up that day. She surprised us all by taking the canvas painting to be professionally framed. The first masterpiece by our little impressionist.

1 comment:
Kelly, that is a really really really good painting! Good job, Tate!
Post a Comment