I am a words person. Always have been. I have so many thoughts I wish I could take the time to form into words and sentences to share about this journey we are on with our Will and the autism spectrum. But the reality of summer schedules and life right now is that I'm not going to have the time nor bandwidth anytime soon to write some eloquent blog post and do it justice. So for now, this quick post will have to do.
What I'm realizing about parenting a child on the spectrum is how hard it is when you have absolutely no clue what to do. I know that goes along with parenting in general. But I'm talking about when you look at your child who is uncontrollably upset, and you feel completely helpless in how to help him.
The older Will gets, there are many areas that he is showing incredible progress. I am over the moon thankful and thrilled. But there are other areas that are getting harder and harder as the rest of the world has expectations for a 4 year old that just don't mesh with where he is. Those discrepancies are becoming more apparent, and as a parent, that is heartbreaking to see.
He has good days and bad days. I'm realizing summertime is going to have more of those bad days. Our schedule and routines are off. That results in some hard moments...and some bad days.
So the whole point of this post, is to share where I've been finding sanctuary. This song.
We sang it at our church for the first time two weeks ago, and it has been played on my phone approximately 328 times since then, I'm sure. I can't get enough.
To me, the words are not meant to be Christian cliches. I grow weary of those kind of trite sayings and mantras. No, this song is an affirmation of sorts that there are waves and winds that are hard. There are mountains that feel impossible to climb. My hope isn't only in those changing. My hope is that even in the midst of the bad days and the days where I feel completely ill-equipped for this road ahead, through it all my eyes stay on the One who will comfort, who will offer peace, and who will provide mercy.
That is how I know it is well with my soul.
(PS: This is not a subtle way of fishing for compliments about Will or my parenting. Just my own outlet to document and remember and to hopefully share this song with someone that may need to hear some of the same words.) :)

No comments:
Post a Comment