Ahhh the pumpkin patch in Texas. Where we pretend it's actually fall, even though it still feels like summer. Where we "pick" overpriced pumpkins. And where we get adorable, timeless pictures of our kids during a fun family evening together. Sounds lovely. :)
Pardon the sarcasm, but I want to remember the reality of our life right now (not just the pretty pictures) and the reality is that this year the annual trip to the pumpkin patch was a rough one. Let's just say when it was time to leave, I was glad we were in two cars, because I needed some alone time to gather myself.
It's really my fault. I have a bad habit of building up expectations for these kinds of family outings. And I learned my lesson never, ever to go to the pumpkin patch on the first cool-ish evening of the fall on the last Friday before Halloween. What was I thinking? Especially with a kiddo who does not deal well with high stimulation like a crowded place you can run around crazy.
I was tired. I had mom guilt that we hadn't been to a pumpkin patch yet. (Seriously why do we do that to ourselves???!!). Will got lost multiple times. There was a massive meltdown at the end. Put all of that together and despite some cute pictures, it was pretty close to a disaster.
But like anything with parenting, we live and learn. The boys still had fun. Memories (even ones with tears) were made. We got our expensive pumpkin. And we know now what to do to make it a little more enjoyable for everyone next year. :)
Wednesday, June 04, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










No comments:
Post a Comment