Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The "Plan B" Birthday Party

A few months ago when talking to Tate about a 3rd birthday party, he seemed to be excited about the idea of a train party. We booked a great inside location (you never know Texas weather in December) for 15 kiddos and were looking forward to one of those parties where you just show up and let the kids have fun.

So it was a little disconcerting when my friend called me a week before to ask why she couldn’t find that train place in the mall. Low and behold, it had closed down. Somehow, I never got a call from them to cancel the birthday party. Frustration. So I had to get creative and plan a “Plan B” birthday party within a few days.

All in all, it worked out great. It wasn’t necessarily the lowest stress of options and we had to do a little more than just show up, but it was still a fun train party for Tate and all of his friends.

We decided to ride the “big, strong train” (as Tate called it) into downtown Fort Worth and back. When everyone got on the train, they received their party favors…engineer hats and train whistles. I apologized countless times to the real passengers in the same train car as us.



I wasn’t quite sure how a 1-hour train ride would go over for all of the kids, but they did so great and seemed to have a fun time.









The tight timetable of the train schedule made us lose a few along the way (I felt SO bad about that!), but thankfully they were able to meet us at the pizza place later on for dinner and cake. And Tate was pretty excited that Uncle Brad made it as well.




When I would ask Tate about a cake, his request was always for brown cupcakes. In fact, brown seems to be his favorite color. I’m thinking for chocolate?


His friends sure seem to know him well. Lightening McQueen, car tracks, trains, Little Einstein’s…what more could he ask for?

Even with the chaos of a last minute change of plans, I’d say the party was a success. And I’d also say this is one blessed, happy little 3-year-old boy with some pretty great friends and family!



Next post: Tate ~ 3.0

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Mallory and Morgan had a blast at the "plan B party" and never even knew any different! Tate seemed like he was in boy heaven riding in a real train. It was a fun party!!!!

Jody said...

Plan "B" party was so cool. Your recap was so sweet! It was great to celebrate Tate's third birthday with you. Thanks for always including us in ya'lls special day! We love your little man.

Love and hugs,
Janell

Laura and Mike said...

Still so sorry we missed the train! Or should I say my other half didn't throw Jackson on it! HA HA
So glad Tate had fun--that's all that matters :)

Unknown said...

I cannot believe you didn't get a call from that other place. Did you have a deposit?? Crazy. Looks like it was even better though!

Ethat just went to a party in Gvine at the Baptist church where MOPS is at the Paradise Pond. I was pretty impressed... I may have all Caden's parties there b/c it was super fun!

Jennifer said...

sorry that you had to change plans but it looks like it turned out great!

Whitney said...

I can't believe they closed and didn't call- well, actually I can. I was SO annoyed with the workers there last time Janell and I took our kids! So sorry that happened, but it looks like "plan b" was a success :) Trains was my "plan a" for Austin's 2nd birthday, but I was having such a hard time finding train stuff that wasn't Thomas the Train. So we changed to cookie monster! Still hope we can do trains in the future!

Did you make everything (invitations, cupcake toppers, favor tags), or did you order them from somewhere- like Etsy? I just ordered all of Austin's from a store on Esty- LOVE THEM!

Birthdays are so fun!!