Friday, August 21, 2009

So Many Firsts

Life has been busy and exciting for a certain little guy around here. A lot of firsts to experience:

First Circus

If you’ve been around Tate much, then you know he is a bundle of energy and doesn’t stop talking or moving much. So imagine the surprise when he sat completely still, quiet, and wide-eyed for the entire two hours of the circus. It was quite a sight to see.

My parents wanted to take all three of the grandkids to the circus a few weeks ago along with dinner at The Purple Cow. Shannon & I went along solely as chaperones. All three of them did great and seemed to have an absolute blast. Tate was mesmerized. And it’s no surprise that his favorite part was the motorcycles in the cage act. He loved it and really hasn’t stopped talking about it. Thanks Mimi & Grandpa for a great memory for us all!


PS: You can find more of these adorable custom-made dresses and baby burpies for sale at my sister’s online store Jelby’s.

First Ride on a Horse

A good friend had her 4th birthday party at a real working farm (chickens, donkeys, goats, roosters) recently. So part of the activities were horse rides. Tate was hesitant at first. Then he got excited about wearing the helmet. And finally, he saddled up. I’m not one to venture out much with wildlife, so I worked pretty hard at not putting my own fears on him. :) I was so proud of him for going for it. He loved it!

It was a fun evening. I really wish I had a before and after picture, because by the end of the night, Tate was covered head to toe in mud. Some things about boys I may never understand. Thanks Jaycie (Brad & Melissa) for providing a fun “first” for Tate!


First Big Boy Bed

The time finally came a few weeks ago, when I caught Tate just about climbing out of the crib. We didn’t want to risk an injury, so we made the switch to the big boy bed.

Tate is such a consistent sleeper that I didn’t want to mess up a good thing. We started with him just taking naps in the bed. The first few days were tricky. It took him 1 hour 15 minutes just to fall asleep that first day. But by the end of the week, he was sleeping in it full-time and completely back to his normal routines. And he hasn’t gotten out of the bed…yet.



He thinks he’s pretty big stuff in that bed and loves it. It still cracks me up how he burrows his head under all his animals when he sleeps. Yes there are several, and their official names are: Dog, Bunny, Penguin, Bear, and Other Bear. There’s still more decorating work to do on the room, but for now, I’m trying to keep it pretty empty to help resist the temptation to get out of bed and play.


First Underpants

Yep, potty training may be in our near future. Serenity now! For the longest time, Tate could’ve cared less about the potty. Well it seems almost overnight, he’s showing some signs of maybe being ready. Pretty much anytime I put him on potty, he’ll do some business. I (think???) that means he’s getting ready. I’m not going to push it too hard if it’s torture. But boy was he excited about getting his first Thomas underpants. “Yay underpants!” could be heard throughout the Target aisles. Since I’ve heard so many of my friend’s horror stories, I’m not sure if I’m near as excited about the whole ordeal. We’ll see how it goes?

Is it just me or is this little guy growing up right before my eyes? So many firsts and big moments in the life of a toddler. It makes me sad to see the baby things slowly fading away, but also so eager to see all of these new things starting.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

He is growing up...fast! I feel like it's been even faster with Tate (maybe because I'm just watching with him!!). I love that he calls his undies "underpants".

Thanks for the shout out, I should pay for advertising!!

Contact Me for an appointment said...

it is true they grow up so fast; my oldest started kindergarten...how did that happen?

Holly said...

Love those Thomas underwear! We have the same ones at our house! Good luck:)

Melissa said...

AWWWW!!! He is getting so big!! So many fun times ahead!! I wish you lots of luck with the potty training and hope it goes smoothly!!

And the stuffed animals (which are favorites) have similar names at our house: baby tiger, mama tiger, kitty, doggy, horsey, other horsey, and the dolls, baby girl and baby doll!! Keep it simple!!!

Lisa said...

Lots of firsts for your little man! Love his big boy bed! I want to make Alex's crib into a toddler bed, but I think I may wait a month or two since he's still adjusting to sharing a room with his big sister. Good luck with the potty training! Keep us updated on how it's going!