Friday, August 07, 2009

Tate's Swim Lessons

If you know much about my side of the family, then you know that the Enrights are some serious swimmers. My Dad, aunt, uncle, and cousins all grew up on competitive swimming teams. Wish I could say that Shannon & I continued on that tradition, but truth be told, I still hold my nose when I go underwater sometimes. (My Dad is probably choking right now in disbelief…sorry!)

Thankfully, Tate has been quite the water kid, He loves being in the water and doesn’t have much fear of the water. A scary combination. Because of that, I wanted to find some good swim lessons for him this year. My friend Paige recommended Mr. Caleb to us, and I was so pleased with how well it went.

Tate was the youngest of the 4 kids in his class, which probably helped provide some good peer pressure. He went for an hour a day for 5 days. Parents (and Mimis & Grandpas) only stayed to watch on the last day. The first couple of days when I dropped him off, he seemed a little apprehensive. But I was so proud with how brave he was. During my goodbye, his bottom lip would stick out a little in a sulk, but I’d ask him if he was ready to go and his “Yes” would sound like he wasn’t so sure, but he’ll do it anyway.

By the end of the week, he was having a blast. Kickboarding across the pool. Going under water. Jumping off the side and “superman swimming” several feet. Picking up rings at the bottom of the pool and pushing back up. And almost floating on his back.

And watching him sit patiently on the step while he waited for the other kids to have a turn was worth every penny in itself. I was so proud of him and so thankful my no-fear swimmer learned a few skills that will really help if an accident ever did happen.




**And each day ended with a well-earned cookie for being brave, obeying the rules, and trying hard during swim lessons.

Way to go Tate!
**I’m choosing to forget the memory of the major tantrum on the last day at the bakery because he couldn’t have more cookies. Not quite the ending I envisioned for such a fun experience. But that’s life with a 2 year old.

11 comments:

Holly said...

Sweet Tate! So glad swimming lessons went well for him. How did you find Mr. Caleb?

Jody said...

Kelly~
That is UNBELIEVABLE!!! I am so impressed! Good for you guys for getting him these lessons. Your little Tate is such a little fighter.... I mean that in a POSIIVE WAY!!!! He is so strong and I know you must be so proud.

Good job guys!!!

Big Hugs,
Janell

Shannon said...

Okay. We may have to have "cousins swim lessons" together next year. I am signing the girls up! That is awesome!! I watched the entire video with my mouth wide open:)

Alyssa said...

Way to go, Tate!!! He is getting so big!

Anonymous said...

Atta Boy. You did great!! And look out Michael Phelps, our Man TATE will be going after your Records (2028 Olympics?)!!

Grandpa

Phillips Family said...

okay...so my kids are totally going to the swim nazi next year. I know Paige loves him and the director of our preschool sent her kids there as well. I was always hesitant about dropping the kids off but now I am sure it is a great thing!

Yeah, Tate!

Riss said...

Totally cool! He's such an amazing swimmer at 2 and a half.

Unknown said...

I am sooo glad lesson went so well!!! We look forward to having you both over to swim.

Whitney said...

Good job Tate- I'm so impressed! Love how you ended the story too... it's so true...

Contact Me for an appointment said...

I love to swim, too and it has been so special that my kids love it too! Tate is a doll! What a joy! Here are to the memories to come!

Melissa said...

Very impressive Tate!!! So glad swim lessons went so good for ya'll!!!