April 15 was a big day for our family. We welcomed our newest addition, Baby Will, as he is affectionately called. My due date was actually April 22, but at my last few dr. appts., it was appearing that little Will might not be so little. At my 38-week appt., I had an ultrasound that measured him at 8 lbs. 7 oz. Supposedly those can be off by an entire pound either way. So my dr. and I discussed the different options, and it was decided to go ahead and induce me at 39 weeks to hopefully prevent him from getting too big. That proved to be a good decision.
There was a brief period of time when I didn’t know if I’d “make the cut” onto the hospital induction list for that day, but by 11:00 a.m. on the 14th I got the call that we were set to go for Will to be born on the 15th (let's hope he doesn't want to be a tax accountant when he grows up as that would not make for fun birthdays). That day was surreal as I ran a few last minute errands with just Tate in the car.
And later that evening, Wade & I dropped him off at my parent’s house. I still tear up thinking about it. But after we said our goodbyes and took a quick picture, I had to leave fast so he wouldn’t see that I was a crying, blubbering wreck. So bittersweet to have the stage of our only child come to an end. Here’s the last picture of just the three of us.
Wade & I headed to dinner together at Uncle Julio’s (maybe spicy food will speed up labor?) and then went home to try to get some sleep before having to be at the hospital by 6:00 a.m. Here I am at a crazy early hour (very tired) by the final countdown for Baby Will.
As we drove in the dark to the hospital, we started guessing what time he would be born. Surely because this is my second labor, and that I’ve had LOTS of contractions, and made some dilation progress…surely this will go quick. And surely it will go quicker than Tate’s 13 hours of labor. Surely. (ha ha ha…can you guess the outcome?)
Another big distraction for the day was how much more intense labor pains are the second time around. Wow…no one gave me a heads up on that! But once my hero the anesthesiologist showed up with the epidural, it definitely provided some relief. Unfortunately it was only a little relief. For some reason, it didn’t seem to take quite as much as I remember it working with Tate.
And then finally by 5:00 p.m., things begin to progress. Fast. In fact, really fast. Just like with my labor with Tate, it took forever most of the day, but when it was time, it was time. Things moved really fast, and I had to call the nurses in quick to get the show on the road. The benefit to that is that the really hard part of labor went really fast. It was still pretty hard, and I definitely felt three years older, but before I knew it, they were placing this wonderful baby in my arms. Born at 5:30 p.m. (10 ½ hours later…but who’s counting?)
Will arrived perfectly healthy and with the sweetest sounding muffled cries. At the hospital, they’ve started cleaning the babies off and checking vitals while the baby is in the mother’s arms. It’s kind of amazing to watch considering that two seconds before he was in my body.
My friend Alyssa should get some kind of award for the help she provided that day. I had assumed Will would be born by the time Tate was out of preschool. That didn’t happen, so she took Tate to her house to play (note that he hadn’t had a nap that day), took him to eat dinner, and had to go buy some more Pull-Ups. Woops. I was nervous about how the logistics would all work out, and she helped to make it effortless for us and the grandparents. Thank you Alyssa!
So about an hour or so after Will was born, the big brother and grandparents got to come meet him. I had no idea what to expect from Tate since he had such a long day. But he was so sweet. I won’t ever forget Wade walking in holding Tate and the HUGE smile he had on his face. Wade brought him over to the bed where I was holding Will.
Tate’s words: “Look, it’s Baby Will! Baby Will is looking at me! (Will really did turn his eyes toward Tate) Now can I have my race cars?”
I was happy with that. At least the first two sentences were ones acknowledging and excited about his brother. Tate’s visit was quick, but he was excited about holding Will and kept looking under his hat and saying over and over that “he has a lot of hair.”
All in all, the day was one to be extremely thankful. Will arrived wonderful and healthy. I made it through labor with no complications. And Wade didn’t pass out! :)
I’m not sure how good my answers are to those questions, but a friend gave me some good advice about focusing on what’s ahead for our family rather than what has passed.
So as we left the hospital and made it home with our new baby, I had quite the boo-hoo (hormones flowing!) session as I said praises and prayers of thankfulness for this amazing gift of life that has been formed and that we’ve been entrusted with.
“Every good and perfect gift is from above…” ~ James 1:17

7 comments:
Love your story and your super sweet bundle of joy! Happy Mother's Day!
What a sweet post. I've been looking forward to reading Baby Will's story. :) He really is absolutely a beautiful baby. I can't quite decide who he looks like though! Congratulations again! Let us know your "new mommy to 2" secrets soon! ;)
Awh! How sweet! Thanks for sharing Will's birth story.
We LOVED having Tate over for a little while! I was so glad that I could help. It was the least that I could do so that you could focus on getting that sweet baby Will into the world! We love your family and are so thankful that Baby Will is here safe and sound!!
Loved reading Will's sweet birth story and can completely relate to so many of the emotions you talked about. Just keep enjoying each moment with your sweet boys - the tears just mean you understand how blessed you are. You are such a wonderful Mommy!
What a sweet, sweet post. You are truly blessed!
Bendra Brown
Hey girl. Great post! I loved the emotion you shared and as a women who struggled with infertility I get it! These babies were created by God and for a purpose and even though I may have wanted to have them sooner than I did He has a plan for them and His timing was more important! Blessings and rejoicing with you! The miracle of Will and Tate...and Emmie and Shelbie will never be forgotten!
Post a Comment