Friday, January 14, 2011

2010: My Year In Books

It's January and time to wrap up my annual Year In Books. I've been driving myself a little crazy trying to remember the books that I read. (Not counting the hundreds of times I've read Starry Safari, Curious George Plays Baseball, or Click, Clack, Moo...Tate's current favorites.) But the truth is, there aren't a lot to remember. 2010 was not my biggest year in reading. Having a baby and managing two different freelance jobs seemed to take up most of my spare time. (And there was also my 3-month obsession with Words With Friends.)

But for the record, here is my small list of books I read in 2010:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett - I read this early in the year, and I'm sure by now most have heard of its greatness. Seriously one of the best books I have read in a really long time. I LOVED it! I'm not sure why I enjoy reading about that time period so much, because it's incredibly sad. But I find myself drawn to those books all of the time. This story is intense and so touching. Surely there will be a sequel and a movie made. Can't wait!

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay - The other time period I find myself reading a lot about is during WWII. Wow, I sure pick some happy years, huh? This probably ranks lower on the books I've read about that time. It's well written and very interesting. But it is seriously sad. So sad, I had nightmares about it. I wish there was something redeeming to the sadness, but there really wasn't. Kind of a downer.

Jantsen's Gift by Pam Cope - I followed it with this book, which has unbelievable redemption to the sadness. And the fact that it's a true story is pretty incredible. I would encourage anyone to read this. As cliche as it sounds, it will be life-changing. In fact, we have several friends who are going through pretty amazing life-changing experiences right now, and this book was a part of that. It will open your eyes in so many ways. From grief to some heart-wrenching, horrible things that are happening to innocent children all over our world. I hope that I will never forget what I learned and will always want to do something about it.

Parenting With Love & Logic by Foster Cline and Jim Fay - And then to the older child in my home. The 3rd year has been a doozie for us, so I was looking for anything I could get my hands on to help. As with all parenting strategies, there really isn't one across the board method that will always work. So you take pieces here and there. So far, I really like that the purpose in this one is for your child to think and eventually come up with the right solutions on their own. I have by no means perfected it but definitely found this helpful.

Heaven by Randy Alcorn - This was a book I read as part of a group study. I definitely recommend reading it with a group because on your own, it may become a little overwhelming. It's a big book with a lot of content to cover. I admit to skimming at times. But the main points that I did learn were fascinating. He writes that there isn't much teaching about heaven in most of our churches today. So much of what I read was new to me. It will answer many questions and at the same time cause you to ask many questions. Most importantly, it does re-affirm and make me look forward to what a great (sure wish there was a better word than great to describe heaven!!!) place it will be.

On my list to hopefully read in 2011:

Open
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Still Alice
The Hole In Our Gospel
Benjamin Franklin's biography
Scream-Free Parenting

Any other good ones out there?

And in case you're looking for some book suggestions, here are my lists from 2007, 2008, and 2009.

4 comments:

Phillips Family said...

Sarah's Key was heart-breaking. I read it over Christmas and cannot get it out of my head.

Have you read her latest book?

Kristen OQ said...

The Help is the best! LOVED it and can't wait for the movie to come out in a few months. I read about the making of it in my People magazine a few weeks ago.

Have you read Roses? Probably my favorite book I read this year. Really good...a little on the long side, but kind of a "Gone with the Wind" type story set in Tyler/East Texas (hence the name).

I just finished One Day. It was decent...a little When Harry Met Sally type book. I only read it because the movie is being filmed right now with Anne Hathaway.

I didn't love Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, although it has good reviews on amazon. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it when I read it.

I have Still Alice on my list too. Just wasn't ready to deal with the sadness. A good friend of mine from childhood (we like the same types of books and do recs for each other) said it was good, but really sad.

I love a good Love and Logic book. I think the Love and Logic for early childhood is better for Tate's age...a little more practical. I think I might have it and could lend it to you if you want.

I read The Lost Hours (Alyssa has it) and it was good. Most of it is flashbacks to the 1930's as a granddaughter is trying to figure out her grandmother's old diaries, etc. I just started On Folly Beach last night (by the same author as The Lost Hours).

This might be the LONGEST comment EVER!

Happy Reading!

Kristen OQ said...

And in that super long comment, I forgot to add that I read the Hunger Games series this fall too. REALLY good and hard to put down and very easy read. Going to be a movie too...trying to be the next Twilight/Harry Potter series once they are over.

theconfidentmom said...

If you like Love and Logic - you will love ScreamFree Parenting. That booked changed not only my parenting but all of my relationships in general. I now share the principles with moms in online coaching that covers the principles - The bottom line - you can only control your own reactions, actions and behavior - if you continue to try to change your children you will never succeed!