Thursday, February 19, 2009

2008+: My Year...ish in Books

I’m way overdue for a book review update. When I looked back at this list, I was pretty shocked that I had read so many books over the last year…ish. I remember the days just a few years ago when I yearned to read a book that wasn’t related to my job somehow. I guess I’m making up for lost time.

  • I started the year with Traveling Mercies and Identical Strangers.
  • Audition by Barbara Walters – Really enjoyed it. There was much more substance to it than the focus of the publicity (Barbara’s marriages) including her family, daughter, and career path. It’s really impressive to see how far she has come when you read about how male-dominated the industry was. I would not have wanted to be her back then. The book was also historical and educational to read about all of the presidents, world leaders, and entertainers she’s interviewed.
  • Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas – Our class at church did a group study on this book. Wonderfully convicting and powerful. I encourage any married couple to read it and find another mentor couple to discuss together.
  • What To Expect the Toddler Years – STRESSED me out. I’ve heard this from other parents of toddlers as well…a lot of the milestones are presented in a way to freak you out if your kid hasn’t done them yet. Tate is so across the board, ahead in some areas and behind in others, that I eventually tucked the book away for several months.
  • There was Twilight, of course.
  • It’s a Boy: Women Writers on Raising Sons – Several of the essays cracked me up. Several were a little too out there for me. And several seemed like maybe I had written them myself.
  • Snow Flower and The Secret Fan by Lisa See – Probably the most unique storyline of any I read. Although it’s a novel, the historically accurate story about 19th century Chinese feet binding is fascinating. Great story of friendship.
  • Just Who Will You Be? by Maria Shriver –This is a tiny book, but she wrote many things about finding your identity in the midst of motherhood after leaving a successful career. Granted I was not a network journalist, but I was surprised with how much I related to what she shared. And it couldn’t have been at a better time, as it was the same time our minister was doing a sermon series on identity. The combination of both made a true impact.
  • Stepping Up: Psalms of Ascent by Beth Moore – Very different than her other studies but a good perspective on some often overlooked pslams.
  • Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall & Denver Moore – My favorite of the year. I love true stories and this one is amazing. The fact that it happened just 25 miles from where I live makes it even cooler. A must-read book that will change your view on homelessness, poverty, wealth, faith, and good people!
  • The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd – Loved it, loved it, loved it. Beautifully sweet story. Can’t wait to rent the DVD.
  • New Moon by Stephanie Meyer – Ran to get this second book of the series after I saw the movie based on the first. It dragged on more than the first but definitely adds a whole new twist to the story. It takes me back to my pre-teen Sweet Valley High days when I couldn’t put a book down.
  • Born Standing Up by Steve Martin – This autobiography is about his stand-up career. I love him, love his writing, and love his story. He was born in Waco and worked at a magic shop in Disneyland. Who knew? Great book. Would’ve love to see his act back in the ‘70s. Sounds like my kind of goofy humor.
  • Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer – Just finished this 3rd book in the series. Was so glad Edward was back and think it is my favorite of the three so far. Not sure about the Jacob plot but enjoyed the drama.
  • 2007: My Year in Books

    Any other good ones out there to suggest? Happy Reading!

6 comments:

jamie said...

hey kelly -

i just joined a book club and they are reading another one of lisa see's books - 'peony in love'. i haven't started it yet though. it didn't look like it would be that interesting, so i'm glad to know another one of her similar books was good!

a really great one to add to your list is 'three cups of tea' - it's a wonderful, very inspirational book about a man who grows a small promise into an amazing organization to benefit girls and communities in afghanistan. a great read!

Shannon said...

NERD!!!! I'm totally joking. I'm very impressed and envious of how many books you have read. Way to go Kelly! Readers are leaders!!

Kristen OQ said...

I really liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan too when I read it earlier this year. Others that were good were The Thirteeth Tale, Change of Heart (I always like anything by Jodi Piccoult), & Friday Night Knitting Club. I have all of these if you want to borrow any of them, as well as the last Twilight book (actually Whitney has it but is almost done I think).

Happy Reading in 2009!

Kristen OQ said...

And I loved Secret Life of Bees too -- and I saw that it is out on DVD already...need to rent that one!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! And were off to the library this week! I love to hear of new suggestions for books!

Mariah said...

Sweet Valley High!!! That took me back...