Thursday, January 03, 2008

2007: My Year In Books

So this is the first year in I can't remember when (maybe since my Babysitter's Club and Sweet Valley High days) that I've had the time and opportunity to really enjoy reading for something other than a test, presentation, or figuring out how to do a job. Here's what my year in books looked like. Don't worry, the baby book theme doesn't last the entire year.

What to Expect the First Year:
  • Liked it.

  • Helpful month-by-month info.

  • Didn't seem to answer all questions.
The Baby Whisperer:

  • Liked it, but did skim a lot.

  • The most helpful to me was the cycle of eat, awake, sleep.

  • Had good tips.
The Happiest Baby on the Block:
  • Loved it.

  • My favorite book about baby stuff.

  • Almost all of the "S's" worked for Tate.

  • The whole fourth trimester concept makes a lot of sense to me.
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child:
  • Liked it.

  • Somewhat hard to read because he wrote it from a doctor's perspective.

  • But, the sleep training tips were very useful and worked for Tate wonderfully.
To Kill a Mockingbird:

  • 2007 New Year's Resolution.

  • Had never read it in school and wanted to see what the big deal was.

  • Loved it.

  • Loved the storyline, characters.

  • The Dad was my favorite.

  • Even watched the movie. Glad I read the book first.
My Sister's Keeper:
  • Loved it.

  • Really interesting story.

  • Makes you think... a lot.

  • Great characters.
Nineteen Minutes:
  • Liked it.

  • Scary that it could be a true story.

  • Somewhat predictable ending.
Plain Truth:

  • Liked it.

  • Interesting culture to read about.

  • Sad story.
The Kite Runner:

  • Loved it.

  • I went into it thinking the Afghan culture would be too difficult to understand and read about. Not true.

  • Totally drawn in to the two main characters. Heart wrenching!

  • Made me cry, and books typically don't make me cry.

  • Can't wait to see the movie.
A Thousand Splendid Suns:

  • Loved it.

  • Again, it was easy to become engaged in that culture.

  • Learned a lot of recent history that I really didn't know very well.

  • Made me sick to my stomach to learn about how some women in other countries are currently treated.

  • Heart wrenching as well.

So that about did it. It looks as though my 2008 has started off with a similar theme as last year, except this time it's books about toddlers. Now that I think about it, I guess I still am reading books about how to do a job. Too bad I can't get a raise for that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Sweet Valley High and Baby Sitters Club were my FAVORITES growing up!!!!!
I think I might actually have all of them somewhere in my parents' attic!! HA!
Okay, so didn't read Plain Truth and now I guess I have to. Ditto on the others though!! Any other books you recommend? I actually read To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time this year too :) We should start our own book club! Did you read Water for Elephants?

Unknown said...

I love hearing about good books. I love to read. My Sister's Keeper has stuck with me... really made me think.