Sunday, July 24, 2011

Haiti ~ The Last One

It says "The Last One," but I'm pretty sure this won't be the last time I talk about Haiti. In fact, if you've been around me for any length of time since I've been back, it has probably come up in the conversation. I'm trying to find that balance...not completely annoying my family and friends with all things Haiti. But at the same time, sharing about this part of the world and these special children that we are so separated from in our every day.

Going into this trip, I knew that I would come back changed. It's a cliche, but it's true. You can't see the poverty and the need and not be changed. But what has surprised me is how much I want to go back. It surprises me how comfortable and safe I felt when I was there. It surprises me that even though it was the hottest, sweatiest, and dirtiest I have ever been, I would be back in a heartbeat if given the chance.

And yes, I did come back changed in other ways. In fact, many of the ways I'm still trying to process. But I know when I was there, I got a big, huge dose of perspective. Don't worry, we're not moving to Haiti. We're not selling all of our possessions. But it does make me take notice of where or what I place my priorities. What is important? What is fleeting? What is of value? What is trivial?

James 1:27 reads, "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction." To me this isn't a judgement if you're not visiting orphans. But it's a statement that when you are, you are able to experience the pureness of what Christianity is all about. That's what I felt.

And the way it all started was when our friends Mark & Chelsea began sharing their journey to serve orphans in Africa (they are there right now!). All of a sudden, I had this little glimpse into a world I really knew nothing about. But I knew that I wanted to know more.

I'm so thankful that they shared their journey and so grateful to the Lord for putting this on my heart and giving me the courage to follow through. And now I hope for many more opportunities to go back on my own, with Wade, and hopefully in several years, with my boys.

We pray for him every night, so they need to meet my friend, Fransos, as well. :)


And one last video. This one was made by the talented Alisha, who was also on our team.

No comments: