Thursday, September 01, 2011

On This Day In...

I just recently discovered the little sidebar on Facebook that shows your status update a year ago or two years ago. Quite entertaining, actually. And quite a way to get some perspective.

So on September 1, 2009, I decided to make it "Facebook official" by announcing that I was pregnant. I vaguely remember being excited, nervous, oh-so-tired, and already looking forward to meeting this new baby.

And then on September 1, 2010, I decided to announce to Facebook that Will (4 months old) had slept 10 hours the night before. I vaguely remember still being absolutely exhausted and absolutely excited that he slept so long.

And here I am on September 1, 2011. I can't believe he is already 16 months old. What a difference one year makes. What a difference two years makes.

He is no baby anymore, and I find myself barely able to really remember him being little. It feels bizarre and almost wrong that I can hardly remember him as an infant. So strange considering it wasn't that long ago. Surely I'm not alone in this weird maternal memory lapse?

Knowing that there is a pretty good chance that we will be a 2-kid family, I tried so hard this past year to really savor every moment. So how in the world have I already forgotten it? I guess it can be blamed on sleep deprivation or the franticness of life.

But for today, I'm thankful to have that quick Facebook trip down memory lane. To remember the excitement of this unknown person that would be ours. And then to remember the relief in knowing it is possible for me to have uninterrupted sleep again.

Now to wonder what it will say in 2012?

No comments: