
Back in 2008, Newsweek and I broke up. We had been very close for about nine years. It's fair to say I'm loyal. During our years together, I loved getting home to find my Newsweek in the mailbox. Yes, this is bringing to light much of my nerdiness. But toward the end of our years together, the design changed, the writing styles changed, and my favorite columnist ever (Anna Quindlen) left the magazine. I wasn't feeling the love and found myself barely reading each issue. So one day, I abruptly broke up.
While we have been on a break, I've received countless letters and emails pleading for my return. At first, I wanted nothing to do with my former news source. After all, I had Brian Williams, my local news, my news radio, and my occasional newspaper. I could go on without Newsweek just fine, thank you very much.
But life continued to happen over the last three years. My then baby turned into a busy toddler. I started working part-time on freelance projects. I had another baby. Life took on a new form of busy. And I found myself barely able to pry my eyes open late at night trying to read at least one morsel of news off my iPhone. I was clueless. In fact, if it wasn't for Facebook, I would have never had known about Osama bin Laden's death.
I am a graduate of an acclaimed Journalism & Mass Communication Department, so it goes against everything in me to be reading my news on Facebook. Wow, could that sound any snootier? No self-righteousness, I just have a weird addiction to good, quality news.
So the inevitable has happened. Newsweek and I have reunited...and it feels so good.
(That song should be stuck in your head now for approximately 8 hours.)

1 comment:
Be sure and let me know what you learn. : )
Post a Comment