Thursday, December 01, 2011

Family Day

After a fun but very busy Thanksgiving weekend, we decided on Sunday to have a day for our little family of 4 at the zoo.  We got there early and were pleasantly surprised to see no crowds at all.  Could of also had something to do with the 30 mph winds and 40 degree temp.  Hmmm?

Despite the cold, we had a great time and enjoyed seeing several animals up close and personal.  Including this crocodile who hung out by the window floating around.




Will has always like to watch birds.  Maybe a future in birding?  :)  So he was in bird heaven when we went into the huge aviary full of hundreds of birds flying around, who you can also feed.  I was in the opposite of bird heaven as they totally freak me out.  I tried to suck it up and be brave for my kids, but there was still some squealing and jumping when those crazy things swarmed me as I pulled out the seed stick.  I still have the heebie jeebies.  But this little guy thought it was all pretty great.




And the animal highlight of the trip came right as we were leaving and walked through the primate exhibit.  All of the gorillas and orangutans are usually outside but were in some small, temporary rooms.  So we got up close and personal.  Kind of amazing and a little creepy at the same time.  Thankful for the very thick sheet of glass separating us.




It was a fun, cold, relaxed day with my little family, and I loved every minute.

1 comment:

Sarah B said...

Um - that last pic of the gorilla looking right at Tate....wow. They are amazing creatures!