Monday, December 05, 2011
Tate is 5!
Most of the time I write a birthday blog post, it starts by stating that I can't believe he is this old. Oddly enough, I have not had that feeling with Tate turning 5. He has changed so much in the last year (including growing almost 4 inches taller), and now he seems like a 5-year-old. He seems older, looks older, and acts older (most of the time). :)
Tate is the kind of kid that if you've spent much time around him, you are quickly considered his friend. It started early as a toddler, but he typically knows no stranger. He truly enjoys being with other people. He is outgoing, friendly, and talkative. He is full of energy, full of life, and starts the day ready to go.
I can see the wheels spinning in his little head all of the time as he asks lots of lots of questions. About the weather, about which bugs are eaten by which bugs, about why people go to jail, about heaven, about how to spell all kinds of words, about which superheroes are bad guys. The list could go on and on. He is in that stage of just soaking everything in.
I love that although he has a side of him that is definitely all-boy, high-energy, craziness, he seems to love to learn. I hope and pray we can continue to foster that in him. He still loves to be read stories each night. He has recently started sounding out words and figuring out how to spell them, recognizing several sight words, counting to 100, etc. He looooves going to Discovery at preschool and learning the weekly science lessons. And just in the past few months, he has seemed to enjoy coloring more. For the longest time, he had no desire but now actually asks to color and definitely enjoys drawing people...and monster trucks.
He loves playing and watching any sport. It's part brainwashing by Daddy and part his genuine interest, but he has impressively figured out most of the NFL logos and which team goes with which one. Pretty sure I had nothing to do with that life skill. Jason Witten is already his hero. He loved playing soccer and T-ball this year. I definitely see a competitive nature to him, which if I'm honest, makes me a little nervous. Praying to always help teach balance.
Tate has taken to being a big brother well. He rarely objects when asked to help. And he is great about trying to entertain Will when needed. And the feeling is mutual. Will loves much prefers when Tate is in the car with us and always thinks he's hysterical.
(picture taken on his actual birthday before our Movie Date to see The Muppets.)
This video is an interview I did with him the day after his 5th birthday using the questions from the Your Birthday Book that I fill out each year. We made it through all of the questions, but I wasn't sure it we would at times. It is clearly December (birthday and Christmas=lots of presents talk), and he gets a little silly/inpatient at times, but I love getting to capture him each year.
I love this boy with every ounce of love in me. At the same time there are days it takes every ounce of patience I have, but we are all figuring this out together. I'm reminded every day that the Lord creates us each unique and wonderful. I'm excited every day to think of the bright future ahead of him. I'm thankful every day that I get to call him mine. Can't wait to see what this next year brings!
(Continuing the superhero theme, this was the family birthday dinner with a Superman cake)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment