Ahhh, Jury Duty. What a funny thing. This was only my second time in 29+ years to receive the dreaded jury summons. The first time was several years ago in Dallas County. I was in and out of there within 2 hours. Things didn't go that easy at the Tarrant County Courthouse today.
Jury Duty is funny to me, kind of like going to the DMV. Those are two of the few times in life you're really thrown into a melting pot. Most of my life is typically surrounded by people like me. I don't do it on purpose, but I live in suburbia USA, work with well-educated peers, and have family and friends all living their middle-class dreams. :)
So as someone who's an avid people-watcher, a social situation like Jury Duty is pretty entertaining to me. No major drama with the folks around me except for the chair neighbor that talks your ear off and the 30+ people who try to convince the judge they need to be excused.
The really funny part of Jury Duty is the inner battle of wanting to get out of there as soon as you can to get on with your life and at the same time, feeling patriotic and somewhat intrigued with the idea of being on a jury. How American can you get?
When they started calling juror names for the first few courts, I found myself feeling a little rejected when my name wasn't on the list. They don't want me? Why not, I'd be a good juror!
After about an hour or so, I was realizing that it was a good thing, because then I could go back to the office and get caught up at work. So, it was time for the last list...alas "Kelly....(long pause) Steerrrzzzuuuuuneck?" is called. So they do want me after all!
Then I realized they were calling lots of names. I'm thinking to myself this must be a really controversial court case and they need lots of potential jurors...how exciting. Not quite. In fact, it wasn't exciting at all.
I was selected for the "alternate jury." We all got to wait around at the courthouse from 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. as potential alternates in case they needed more jurors. Good times!
As annoyed as I was the entire time, I had to keep reminding myself that a jury of your peers is an incredible freedom. It is a privilege for me to hang out at the courthouse ALL day.
Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Your day at the courthouse sounds like my days in the ER. Crazy people with VERY interesting personalities and lives. Now you can relate a little more to my job:)
You're right...I guess the DMV, Jury Duty, and the ER are our common bonds. :)
Post a Comment