Saturday, July 29, 2006

Remember the Alamo...I forget, who won?

I've been traveling for almost a week for work and have been a little out of touch. Bad blogger.

Some catching up: Two weeks ago we took a trip that has turned into an annual tradition, taking our niece and nephew (Trip and Mary Tish) to San Antonio. At eight and six years old, they always have some entertaining things to say, and the trip was lots of fun.

The first stop was to see the Austin bats (all 750,000 of them!) that head out for their evening on the prowl each day at dusk. If you look up close at the picture, you'll see the line of bats in the air. There is a steady line of bats for almost 20 minutes straight. Slightly freaky.




Then on to San Antonio. My sweet, wonderful friend and college roommate and her sweet husband (Garyn & Zach) have been so gracious to let us come invade and stay the weekend at their home.

So we all headed to the Alamo. I hadn't been there in years. To be completely honest, I had to do get some quick mini-history lessons from Wade as a reminder that we actually lost the battle of the Alamo. Those 2 years of Texas History just didn't seem to stick (yes, I'm hiding my face in embarrassment). But, it was pretty cool to see. And, I never realized how many people came from other states to defend Texas...thanks Tennessee!


A highlight of the trip for the kids was visiting the new family-owned shop Garyn & Zach have opened along with the rest of the Keener clan. It's a franchise called Just Dogs and is the absolute cutest shop of gourmet dog treats and fun dog accessories. If you're a dog-lover and are ever in San Antonio, you must go by North Star Mall and see it.

Both of the kids had $10 in spending money for a souvenir. They held onto their money the entire weekend and waited to spend all of it at Just Dogs. I'm sure their dog thanks them!



One of the most memorable parts was when Wade & I taught them two of our favorite songs in the car. So, Mary Tish and I had a great time jamming out to the one and only "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond. Wade went a little less classic and taught them "Sauerkraut" by Weird Al Yankovick.

It was a fun and memorable weekend. We even survived and handled "How much longer until we get there?" all 50 times.

2 comments:

Wade said...

Let it be said in my defense that - although a fun sing-along with a 6 & 8 year old - 'Sweet Caroline' is not one of my favorite songs!

Secondly, it's not called 'Sauerkraut', it's called 'Albuquerque'. I thought you would have figured it out after having to listen to it 20 times in one weekend! Still, you have to admit that it's a dang funny song.

mcjacobsjournal said...

What a fun trip! You guys are the COOLEST aunt and uncle! I will have to subtly suggest this idea to my sisters. :) I'm glad you had a fun road trip...and that you taught these kiddos some good car songs along the way!!