To go back to what got me started on blogging, I thought I'd share something interesting a friend sent me on turning 30. I've bolded the ones I've got taken care of and put my own commentaries in parentheses...looks like I'm a little behind.
30 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do Before Turning 30 by (Adcock, Siobhan) "provides idiot-proof instructions for mastering these and other essential, face-saving, and possibly life-saving skills.
You'll learn how to...
1. wrap a present (my favorite!)
2. start a successful fire in a fireplace, at a campsite, and in a barbecue (maybe I can start one on accident)
3. finish a piece of furniture
4. get a raise
5. order wine at a restaurant without getting stiffed
6. parallel park in three breathtakingly beautiful movements (maybe about 10)
7. dance a "slow dance" without looking like an idiot (it's all in the sway)
8. use a full place setting properly, including chopsticks and Asian soup spoons
9. clean your place in under 45 minutes, when friends or relatives,are coming by unexpectedly
10. hold your liquor
11. cure a hangover
12. do the Heimlich Maneuver
13. use a compass
14. change a flat (yeah right!)
15. jump start a car (double yeah right!)
16. open a champagne bottle
17. send a drink to someone's table
18. cook one "signature meal" (that one is easy for me, since I only have a few)
19. whistle with your fingers (huh???)
20. take good pictures
21. fold a fitted sheet
22. remove common stains
23. sew a button (sad, but true that I don't know how)
24. carve turkey, lasagna, and birthday cake
25. hold a baby
26. change a diaper
27. keep a plant alive for more than a year
28. make dogs and cats love you
29. help someone out of a car
30. write superior thank you notes
Sunday, August 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
i'm surprised by some of them. i thought you knew how to start a fire at a campsite! and don't you remember dad rescuing us at cheddars when you had a flat back in 1994ish? he showed us how to change it.... ha! i'll start working on this list now so that i'll have it completed when i'm 30.
I turned 30 in January and I have given up on the parallel parking and the whistling. Just not gonna happen in my lifetime. I am quite impressed you can carve a turkey. I picked out the biggest, fattest turkey I could find last Thanksgiving which was free after a $50 purchase and it is still in my parent's freezer (it's so big it won't fit in mine). By the way, the Project Runway kick off was a bit of a let down for me. But I guess in an industry with the moral fiber equivalent to a gauze pad, cheating with pattern books is as bad as it gets.
Hi Shannon,
Do you really think I was paying that much attention to remember 10+ years later? Ha-Ha! Do you? :) I'm not that ashamed to say when it comes to car stuff, I'm not afraid to play the "girl card." Let me know how your list goes as you get close to 30! :)
Hi Kelli,
Yes, turning 30 earlier this March was a memorable moment for me. I agree with you on parallel parking. Although, I am a little bitter that kids today don't have to do that for driver's license test...what pressure that was!
As far as carving the turkey, I didn't say I was really good at it. :) And, I agree about Project Runway last week. I'm glad they stayed true to the rules, but the promos made it look like it would be a much bigger scandal. So far the season is good. Although last season's Andre & Santino were pretty entertaining.
Take care...have a great week! Kelly.
Post a Comment