Monday, November 20, 2006

Nesting?

I'm not sure if I've been nesting or not? Most people describe it as a burst of energy. I haven't had that, but over the last few days, I've still gotten a ton done.

Over the weekend, I finally made the big step of cutting the tags off and washing Tate's newborn-sized clothes. I'm not really sure what was keeping me from it, but the nursery finally has that Dreft smell. Everyone looks at the newborn clothes and says "how cute and small"...I still look at them and say, "how cute, but how is there a person that big inside me???"

So tonight's task is finally packing the hospital bag and creating the who to call list for Wade. As a habitual over-packer, I'm trying really hard to just bring what I need. But how in the world do you anticipate what you need after giving birth to your first child? I'm guessing there may be some trips back to the house for Wade to get that one thing I forgot.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my in-the-bag suggestion: comfy pjs or clothes to wear instead of the hospital gown after delivery. I only made this mistake once before I sent Scott out trekking for at the very least a robe for me when I was seen in all my glory by a friend after my first child was born!

Anonymous said...

Should I start a pool for how many pairs of shoes Kelly will try to pack?

I'll put the over/under somewhere around 5!

Anonymous said...

pack a colored pillowcase - it will make you look really perky in the post delivery pictures

laura said...

the things i was most thankful for after nathan were my slippers, comfy/cute (very important :) pajamas, my boppy, and nursing essentials. hope that all goes well with your delivery! you guys are in our prayers!

Shannon said...

Bring all of your own toiletries. The hospital may have some, but it's just not the same. There is nothing like taking a shower and using your own soap, shampoo etc. after giving birth. I think I took a 30 minute shower!! Heaven.

B-Mom said...

Bring a box of thank you notes. When people come bearing gifts, flowers, etc., have them write their name and address on the envelopes...then you're ready to write your thank you notes, slip it into an envelope and not have to look up addresses. It also serves as your "who came to see you when you were born" list.

One of the girls in the Sunday School Department we direct gave this suggestion and many of our new moms have utilized it and loved it.

Knowing you the envelopes will be in a pretty basket with matching pens! Enjoy it now before you get too busy to be so design smart!

Our prayers are with you! Can't wait to meet the new "family" member!

Sharon

mcjacobsjournal said...

I'm with everyone else on the list of essentials...your own pj's, a comfy robe that you can trek the halls in, slippers, and definitely your own pillows and toiletries! I loved feeling like I was celebrating something and not sick in a hospital bed. So, anything and everything that makes you feel a little "prettier" than you will really feel! :)

Side note about the toiletries: A friend of mine gave me the tip to pick out a new scent of lotion, bath gel, etc. and use it every day those first few weeks of motherhood so that the scent became a "memory" of your baby being born. I am so glad I did that because I still smell it and remember Kendyll's sweet precious face cuddled up close to me, even on day one in the hospital.

Good luck! We will be praying and awaiting the wonderful news!

Kelly said...

What great suggestions...thanks everyone! I really do need to get a good robe and slippers this weekend.