Tuesday, February 20, 2007

New Chapter

Enter yet another new chapter in life. Not only do I have my first child, I’m now in the category of stay-at-home mom. Last week, I made what was one of the toughest phone calls and decisions I’ve ever made. I called my boss and let him know that after lots of contemplation and discussion, I’ve made the decision to resign from my job.

It’s a decision that came with many mixed emotions. I’ve spent 5 years at the American Heart Association and have been given incredible opportunities to grow personally and professionally. In my most recent position, I managed our Communication and Marketing team. This was by far the best job I’ve ever had. I loved the organization, my team, and the mission that we promoted.

All that being said, the job took a lot out of me. I was traveling 20-30% and was easily working regular 10-12 hour days. Back in the day with just me and Wade, I could find a balance to make it work. Once Tate got here, going back to that pace seemed to put things out of balance for me. I admire those that can make it work, but for me, I knew deep down inside that I wouldn’t be able to do both well. Who knows, it might not be something I do forever, but for right now it’s the best decision.

I’ve been a little bit of an emotional roller coaster since then. I’m sad and will miss my time at the AHA. I’m a little nervous about the change in my role and identity. And, I’m happy, excited and thankful to be able to spend time with my son watching him grow and learn all about this world.

8 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Good for you! This is a huge step. Let's do lunch, a benefit of me working at home. Tate will grow up fast-you won't regret spending this time with him! God bless your new chapter.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Kelly--I know you will find satisfaction in whatever you do. I was able to stay home for 12 years and have been full time employed for almost 25. Enjoy your family, work will happen again when the time is right....He sure is a cutie!!!!!I finally saw his resemblance to Wade in the father-son nap picture....

Aunt B

Sarah B said...

I'm so glad you have this choice to make. So many want to stay home but can't afford it. I know it will be different, but you will be so blessed. Sarah B

Shannon said...

Hey, now you won't have to Tivo Oprah, and you can eat Bon Bons!

All joking aside, I am excited for you. I understand what you mean about getting used to your new role. I found myself wanting to say, I used to be an RN, but now I stay home with Mallory, as if to justify it. I've come to realize that being a mommy is my favorite job of all (even on the bad days)!

Keri said...

Congratulations! Shannon hit the nail on the head. I felt for at least a year that I had to explain to working moms that I did used to be a teacher!! Enjoy your time with Tate.
Keri

B-Mom said...

Now from the old lady...Bless you. I know you have mixed emotions,but I am so thankful that both of my daughters-in-law are able to be at home with their babies. There is no greater blessing than raising your children. And, yes, they do grow so fast....now, you guys can see for yourselves that when us "oldies" say that, we know what we're talking about! There is nothing more important than your relationship to your husband and your children...of course, except with the Lord. He will bless you and keep you!

Eric Swayne said...

Congratulations! And I would say that REGARDLESS of what you chose. I'm personally very glad that my wife is getting to stay at home with our coming young'un, but I think that's a decision for each family to make.
I congratulate you because you were able to make a choice, and choices often free us in life. I chose to marry Larissa, and that saved me the agony of trying to impress more than one girl! :-) And the choice I made with my Lord has even MORE benefits!
I hope and pray that the transition is a smooth one for you, and that you're able to enjoy those moments when he's not driving you crazy that are the reward for your decision.
Congrats again.

Laura Scott said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you and that you are able to stay at home with Tate. I am sorry you have to leave the AHA, but I think you will find your time with Tate equally if not more rewarding. And you may have to make sacrifices with the finances (like buying less wrapping paper and bows:) ) for a while until you adjust to one paycheck, but it is well worth it!!!