Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Oprah Bandwagon


Those that know me well know that I’m a big Oprah fan. Sorry to say to all you Oprah-haters out there (you know who you are), my respect for her has increased even more.

Wade & I (yes, I asked him to watch it with me) watched the special program on the building of Oprah’s Leadership Academy For Girls in South Africa.

I was blown away by so many things in this short hour. Oprah has invested an amazing amount of time, detail, and money to make this school an incredible place. Since many of these girls come from one-room huts with no electricity or running water, they must think they are in heaven already. It seemed that the part at the school they were most excited was the bathroom...showers!

The attention to detail and thought that went into the school, uniforms, curriculum, etc. is impressive. And for any girl that graduates, Oprah will pay for her to go to the college of her choice. I don’t remember her quote exactly, but she said that educating a girl in South Africa will educate and enrich an entire community.

What put me in tears several times throughout the show were the stories of these girl’s lives. Almost all of them had lost at least one parent, if not both, to AIDS. One story was of two sisters whose father killed their mother and then himself. They live on their own and take care of each other. Another girl wakes up at 4:00 a.m. every day to walk through a very dangerous neighborhood to the bus stop to then ride a bus for an hour to go to school.

What was so amazing and moving as they all told these articulate heart-wrenching stories, was how these girls have responded to such difficult circumstances. They didn’t point blame, but look to the future filled with incredible hopes and dreams for themselves. We could learn a lot from that attitude.

So, I’m now even more on the Oprah bandwagon…sorry! I don’t look to her for spiritual direction or enlightenment, but in this celebrity-obsessed culture, I appreciate her story. She came from poverty and seems to have earned every bit of her success while doing something beneficial with it.

If you missed it, there's an encore this Saturday night on ABC.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This show had me in tears today. I loved it. Did you see a few weeks back when Mike Cope's sis-in-law was on for rescuing 7 kids in Ghana? Anyway, I loved knowing about this amazing school and how much it meant to the girls to go to it.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

My husband HATES Oprah but I love her. I am really proud of the school and was so thankful that Jeff works nights so I could sit and cry and thank God for giving Oprah these resources. I was amazed by the girls and the thought that went into each and every detail. So Kelly you and I are sooooo on the same page my friend! :)

Shannon said...

I think you were mentioning my hubby in the "Oprah haters"! Poor Brad. He just can't get into her.

Anyway. I need to see the show. I've heard her talk about the school before and saw pictures of the girls, but I need to see this one.

On sort of the same topic, the African Children's Choir came to perform at our church and it was AMAZING! Many of the children come from the same type of background: AIDS, civil war, poverty etc. This organization started a school for them as well. It's just so moving to watch such innocent kids have such hope in such terrible circumstances.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the encore! I love Oprah! Hopefully she will open one of her mansions here in the states to school the poor in her own backyard!

Kelly said...

Kelli,
Yes, I saw that show. When they gave her a standing ovation, I was bawling like a baby. Such a neat story! Hey, what happened to your blog?

Susan,
Glad to hear you're a fan as well. Wade's not a fan and justified watching it with me by saying it was because it wasn't a regular show, but a special program. In the end, I think he was pretty impressed.

Shannon,
I never named names. I know there are many other haters out there. But, I think they'd come around if they really saw all the pretty cool things she does.

I've heard about that choir. In fact (don't laugh), on Oprah they showed a town that had the choir come perform at a local church. 5 or 6 families ended up adopting several of the kids. Pretty neat!

Also, I've got the special recorded on the DVR if you want to watch it next time you're in town...maybe Brad will watch too! :)

Mr/Ms Anonymous,
Why not say who you are? I'm pretty sure Oprah does a lot already for many people in our country. Even if she didn't, why would US citizens be more deserving of help than those in a poverty-stricken country like South Afria?

Something I didn't mention was that in South Africa, most girls can't go to school...any school...because you have to pay to go to school and pay for uniforms. The families usually choose to pay for the boys to go, but not the girls.

I'd say there's a much bigger need for support of that type of education system vs. the free public school system we have open to all.

Wade said...

Most times I'd rather go to the dentist than watch an episode of Oprah - seeing how at least I will get something out of going to the dentist.

But Kelly's right, the only thing more amazing about the school are the girls who go there. They reminded me that I have NOTHING to complain about!

As to the anonymous comment about Oprah building a mansion here in the states, God didn't make us Americans or South Africans - we made ourselves that.

Instead, God made us human beings. And as human beings, we have a responsibility to serve others who are in need of help regardless of where they live.

B-Mom said...

Kelly: I believe the key to your comment was "...I don't look to her for spiritual direction or enlightenment..." I agree that she has done many great things for many people both at home and abroad. I had the opportunity to interview Oprah twice, once in 1990 one-on-one in the green room when she was filming an episode on child abuse in Dallas. After the show she invited us to her hotel room where we just sat and chatted about alot of stuff. At that time she confessed Christianity. Now she does seem to be more cameleon depending upon who she's talking to, but...as I said, your statement is the key. I interviewed her again in Seattle in 1994 and, again, she was very gracious. I think she does alot of good things. She gives money away for many purposes including building homes for the poor in our country. However, this school is, indeed, an amazing project. You know that we are big on foreign missions. Jason will be leading a group to Africa in 2008 and we hope to be on that train. We support work both here and abroad. There are needs in every nation and, as Jesus said, "Go ye therefore..." and He may have started at home but He included "All nations." For what's it's worth....

Anonymous said...

I was also in tears, with the girls and lives they have led. I had to keep reminding myelf they were only 7th & 8th graders!!!!! I don't think I have come across anyone here that was so articulate and excited about an education!!!!!! I wish my son could be that motivated by school.

Aunt B