
After Sunday afternoon, I’m feeling quite hip and with the times...and quite frivolous at the same time. 13 other young mom-types and I shared the matinee theater with about 100+ tweens to see Twilight. My $8 contributed to the $70 million it made this weekend. Yes, the vampire movie. Call me crazy, but I actually enjoyed it.
I read the book for my Book Club back in August. I thought it was OK. It was a fun, easy read, but I wasn’t running to the bookstore to read the next one in the series. So I went into the movie with very low expectations. Truth be told, once the movie was over, I ran to the bookstore to get the next book in the series.
Of course the movie had its cheesy moments, and of course the acting isn’t all Oscar-worthy, but I was pretty engrossed (along with the 12-year-old sitting in front of me) and found myself thinking that this vampire guy is really growing on me. Did I just really say that?
So for you other Twilighters out there (fess up!), what did you think? Some of my thoughts: Bella was great and cuter than what I pictured, Edward got better and better as the movie went on (and cuter), the beginning scenes when he’s mad are strangely funny, the glittery skin scene was goofy, the white skin looked too powdery at times, Bella’s Dad was great, Jasper was just odd, Jessica was a hoot, and I’m hooked.
I read the book for my Book Club back in August. I thought it was OK. It was a fun, easy read, but I wasn’t running to the bookstore to read the next one in the series. So I went into the movie with very low expectations. Truth be told, once the movie was over, I ran to the bookstore to get the next book in the series.
Of course the movie had its cheesy moments, and of course the acting isn’t all Oscar-worthy, but I was pretty engrossed (along with the 12-year-old sitting in front of me) and found myself thinking that this vampire guy is really growing on me. Did I just really say that?
So for you other Twilighters out there (fess up!), what did you think? Some of my thoughts: Bella was great and cuter than what I pictured, Edward got better and better as the movie went on (and cuter), the beginning scenes when he’s mad are strangely funny, the glittery skin scene was goofy, the white skin looked too powdery at times, Bella’s Dad was great, Jasper was just odd, Jessica was a hoot, and I’m hooked.

3 comments:
I think I'm possibly the only one out there that wasn't wowed by either the book or the movie. The book was very repetative and the first half was SO slow. If I had not heard how great it was, I probably would have put it down and never gone back. The last few chapters were pretty good but still not amazing. The movie to me seemed a little choppy and the acting was like you said, cheesy. What I found ironic is that the author spent SOO much time describing how beautiful Edward was (and all the Cullens for that matter) and none of the actors lived up to that in my opinion. Again, I think I'm flying solo here on my opinions but it's my honest thought. I read a lot and this one just didn't do it for me. I've been told to give the next book a try and I'm not running out to Barnes and Noble just yet. We will see.
Still trying to decide if I should jump on this bandwagon or not... I am quite tempted to become hip and figure out this whole Bella/Edward thing.
Glad you had fun!
(Also, I have not forgotten about finding the Little Tikes lady's phone number for you. I can't find it anywhere. Seems she is no longer running ads in local magazines. However, I have not given up!)
I'm hooked! The book was addictive to me. And all my girlfriends are hooked too. The second book is a little harder to get through (you'll understand when you start reading it).
The movie was definitely not an award winning film by any means and everything that you stated is true.
Bella was a great little actor, Edward grew on me more throughout the movie too. There were funny parts in the movie that I didn't laugh at in the book, so I was pleasantly surprised at those.
Apparently Jasper has a huge part later on in future books, so "my" teenagers were all laughy and giddy when he'd appear on the screen. I think when Edward and Bella were laying in the grass together (skin sparkling), Edward's legs looked broken to me and that was cheesy funny to me. Charlie was a great actor and I thought that Carlisle was THE cutest one of the Cullens.
But I understood going into it that the movie wouldn't live up to the author's descriptions and detail. I have truly enjoyed reading the books and can't wait to get through the second and move on to the third.
Happy Reading to those who haven't read it yet!
Post a Comment