
We all survived the White Rock Half Marathon yesterday. This year it was a family affair with me, Dad, Shannon, Brad, and Brad’s mom, Sharon, all entering the big race. Plus my superstar friend, Janell, did the full marathon!
Not so great weather conditions seem to follow me. When I did the full marathon in Kona, it was blazing hot. When I did the half marathon last year, it was freezing cold and raining. This year, it was humid with 20-30 mph winds (as you see by Mallory’s flying hair in the picture). By the time me and Shannon finished, it was almost 80 degrees*. Will I ever have a partly cloudy/sunny in the 50s kind of race day?
When you’re walking all 13.1 miles, it takes a long time, but I was actually pleased that despite the insane winds I came in 8 minutes faster than last year at 3:18.
One thing I was not so pleased with was the new half marathon route. They started everyone (full and half) at the same time, which made traffic horrible. Then the half route finished the last 5K on the Katy Trail. What a downer. You couldn’t see where you were or where the finish line was, and it was eerily quiet. That’s not quite the motivation you’re looking for as you finish. But we survived!
Way to go Dad, Shannon, Brad, Sharon, and Janell!
And a big thanks to my friend Tara for lending me her persona for the day after my little registration problem. As people shouted “Go Tara!’ I had to remember that they were cheering for me. It was kind of fun being a Tara for the day.
*As true with all Texas weather, just wait awhile and things will change. At the same time today as we finished yesterday, it was 30 degrees outside!

5 comments:
Congrats Kelly! I'm really proud of you!!!
Yea ME!
Congrats, I'm glad you had so much fun!!
Kelly~
So so so proud! You are a superstar too! I am so happy for you and all your family that participated (including caring for the kids)! How fun to make it a family "thing".
The winds were HORRIBLE!!! Next year (wait... did I say next year) let's pray for PERFECT weather!
Love you,
J
Way to go! That is incredible! I am impressed! No- you will mever have good weather. It's Texas so unpredictable.
Congrats on White Rock! You go Tara!
I have had fun tonight catching up on your blog! That Tate gets cuter with every picture taken...Merry Merry Christmas!
BJB
**Can you email me so I will have your email address...I have a ? for you...Blessings to you friend
tony....and....becky....@ hotmail....com Removes the dots! I Bet you could of figured that out on your own! :)
Post a Comment