Friday, December 05, 2008

To my sweet little boy,

How is it possible that you are already 2 years old? I hear other parents say it often, but it’s so true that the time since you’ve come into our lives seems to have gone at warp speed. It seems like just yesterday that the doctor placed you in my arms at 8:10 p.m. on December 5, 2006. While at the same time, it’s hard to even remember what our life was like before you were here. Time goes so fast, and I hope I can savor every minute I’m given as your Mom.

This second year of your life has definitely been a year of firsts for you. You started army crawling, standing, crawling on all 4s, cruising, and walking. Yes, all in less than a year! And now, we have to clear everything out of your way as you run full-speed ahead most anywhere you go. You have worked so hard this year to learn all of these new skills, and we are SO proud of you. It has given us true joy to see you discover this new world of mobility. It has seemed to make you much happier as well.




As strange as it is, I’ve learned a lot about myself as your mother, as I’ve learned more about you. It confirms to me that God makes us each so unique and different. Your personality seems to be more similar to your Daddy’s compared to mine. But I love that about you and appreciate so many characteristics that I know will be such important strengths for you as you grow up.

You have become quite an enthusiastic, social, and outgoing little boy. Most of the time when we go out to dinner or go to a store, you find a way to say “Hi!” to anyone and everyone that walks by. Sometimes you keep saying it over and over until they finally turn around to acknowledge you.

You also have a lot to say. Sometimes it’s in your “Tateish,” but each day you’re talking more and more and recently you’ve started putting two words together pretty regularly. There are still some things you say wrong, but we can’t bear to correct it because it’s too cute. When you see a bicycle or motorcycle, you will say “Go, go, go, Daddy.” You started that this year after watching a bike race with Daddy. You can spot them in a heartbeat and say it every time.



And speaking of your Daddy. You LOVE your Daddy. I know you love me too, but you definitely have a unique bond with your Daddy. You get so excited to see him when he comes home every day. It might be because he’s started taking you to get Krispy Kreme donuts every Sunday morning.

We learned very quickly that you are a true explorer. You don’t sit still much at all and love to check out anything and everything that is around you. It’s sometimes a dangerous combination with your boundless energy and high pain tolerance. It’s rare that there isn’t some kind of bruise or scratch on you somewhere. Sometimes we think that you think you can physically do the things a 5-year-old can. That’s hard for me to balance letting you try things while making sure you don’t get hurt. Thank goodness most of the times you fall, you’re pretty quick to bounce right back up and keep going.


My favorite part of the day with you right now is actually right before you go to bed. Daddy gives you a bath and gets you dressed in your PJs. Then I get to rock you in the chair and sing Jesus Loves Me with you. Then we say a prayer. You put your cute little hands together and then we say thank you for all of your favorite people…and sometimes for football as well.




Things you love: watching SportsCenter with Daddy, playing with any ball, playing with any car, reading books, playing outside, swinging, your grandparents, your aunts and uncles, your cousins, your friends, milk, Chick Fil-A, Chipotle, blueberries, yogurt, guacamole, rice, beans, throwing your food, finding the moon, swimming, bath time, Gymboree class, going to church, fun music, Sesame Street and Elmo, the Backyardigans, Macy, trains, fire trucks, jumping on pillows, and taking 3-hour naps (keep it up!).

Things you don’t like: trying new foods, being constrained, holding hands in the parking lot, sleeping past 7:00 a.m., getting your diaper changed, and when I stop to talk with people.


You truly bring so much joy to not only your parents but to others as well. I can’t put into words how thankful I am for this gift God has given me. I hope and pray for wisdom every day so I can help raise and prepare you for your wonderful future that awaits.

18 comments:

Phillips Family said...

Happy Birthday to sweet Tate! Hope you have fun celebrating the big 2!

Kristen OQ said...

Happy Birthday Tate! What a great list and blog about your sweet 2 year old!

Lana said...

Happy Birthday Tate. What a sweet post.

Audra Laney said...

How touching! Happy 2nd birthday, Tate!

Anonymous said...

What a precious list of memories from the past, present, and for those special times yet to come in Tate's life! Children (AND grandchildren) are truly such a wonderful gift from God! Savor every moment and tuck those moments close to your heart...when Tate is grown, you can look back and remember...I can still picture Kari and Kelli when they were 2 years old and it brings such joy! Even at age 2, you can see a glimpse of the wonderful young man Tate will become!
Sounds like your family had a great Thanksgiving...we were with Kelli, Jason, Jaxon, Jordan, and Kamryn in Colorado. When we flew home on Sunday, there was a foot of snow! Baby girl Kamryn is 4 months old and a little doll! Jaxon and Jordan are so much fun and we played in the snow right before we went to the airport!
Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas and that we can get together soon!
Jill (and Ronnie)

Amy said...

happy birthday little tate!!!

Shannon said...

Happy birthday Tater! We can't believe you are already 2!!! The time has flown and we are so proud of all you accomplished this year! We love you so much!

Jennifer said...

What a grea recap! Happy Birthday Tate!!

Emiley said...

I love this sweet post. Happy Birthday Tate!!!

Contact Me for an appointment said...

Happy Birthday to Tate! Thank you for sharing your love letter to Tate, that was just precious and brought tears to my eyes. My heart was overwhelmed with the love you have for him. Keep up your prayers for him; they will guide, protect and enrich his life.

Jody said...

Oh Kelly! The tears are streaming down my face. I can't wait until Tate can one day understand what an incredibly amazing Mommy he has. I watch you in disbelief (you have patience that I long to have) as you so calmly handle toddlerhood. You are amazing with him.

Tate~ We are so proud of you! You are a rockstar!!! You are cute little man too ; ).

We love you,
All of us.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Tate - you not only bring joy to your gorgeous parents who are sure a real fun to be around, but you also bring joy to a blog-reading 'girl' at the other end of the world who keeps coming over mainly to (sorry Kelly ;-) not entirely true...) see how you are doing! Thanks for making me smile often enough!

Laura and Mike said...

Happy birthday Tate!

Unknown said...

Sweet letter! Love that pic of him in the chair at the bottom!

Linda said...

I remember my own lil boy's 2 year old party...wow, how time flies. What a SWEET SWEET letter and memories...Happy Birthday Sweet boy!

Keri said...

Hope you had a spectacular day with your sweet boy. He is just precious Kelly! :)

Unknown said...

Hope Tate has a great Birthday...it has been great getting to know you and seeing you a week. Tate is just the sweetest thing!!!!

Lisa said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your sweet little boy! Loved your post!