Monday, October 19, 2009

Summer Wrap-Up

Yes, we’re more than half way through October. But for some reason, I have this blog-induced guilt lingering over me to document a few more things from summer. From our Gulf Shores trip, the house move, surgery, and the early weeks of pregnancy, I wasn’t the best blogger those few months. One of these days (hopefully before baby gets here), I want to get a blog-to-book done, so it will just help me feel that all is right in the world if I get caught up from the summer.

Without further ado, here’s the rest of our summer:

Our church’s version of VBS, called Summer Spectacular, started on the day of our move, so we didn’t quite get the full effect this year. But what we did see was of course spectacular. This year’s theme was Queen Esther. Tate loved getting to see Daddy help haul in Haman on a chariot thing. And he talked for weeks about seeing Mordecai come in the auditorium on a real horse. And the musical cracks me up. From Abba to Beyonce tunes, they make the Esther story pretty entertaining for the adults too. Once again, RHCC outdid itself and provided a wonderful and fun family event.





We did lots of swimming at Mimi & Grandpa’s house, at our local pool, and with all of the cousins. By the end of the summer and after lessons, he was either "swimming" on his own or with arm floaties if we needed a little break. He is a water boy and loves going under, jumping (although that seems to be fading some), playing with sticks and kicking.


This year was a fun one for 4th of July. Tate was so excited about the fireworks and STILL asks to see them whenever we drive by the spot that we parked to watch.


Wade went with a few other guys and their sons to watch a monster truck rally. Clearly we were not up on our monster truck protocol, because neither of us even thought about ear plugs. Wade had to borrow some there. To say that Tate enjoyed it is a huge understatement. Even several months later, he will go up to complete strangers and tell them “I see monster trucks!” Not sure what to think about that. Going to many more monster truck rallies in the future is not that exciting to me. Maybe that’s a Daddy thing.

We also enjoyed lots of outside time this summer. Our new house has great shade placement. So even in the heat of day, we’re able to play outside. What a relief…this guy has got some serious energy to work off every day!


Tate also discovered some new favorite songs this summer. Wade has an Ipod playlist for Tate, and this is on a regular rotation. I'm so proud! :) Seriously, how can you not love Neil Diamond?



And the grand finale of the summer was our annual trip to Lake Brownwood. Because of the timing, this year it was only us, the Haynes, the Cranfords, and the Irvines. We missed everyone else. It amazes me every time, though, how we just pick up right where we left off with these friends. We rarely have the chance to see them anymore in regular life, but the trip to the lake each year feels like we see them all of the time. I will always be thankful for these friendships!

Tate had a blast this year. He wasn’t even walking last year, so this time around was very different and lots of fun. He loved the lake, the friends, the donuts, the boat, and the tube. Not sure why I’m even surprised, but he didn’t hesitate a second getting on that tube. That definitely does not come from my DNA.


And oh my goodness, he has a new 8-year-old hero. His name is Austin. Tate talked to and followed Austin around non-stop. And now any time we see an elementary-aged boy with white/blond hair, he asks if it’s Austin. So sweet. And so hard for me to believe. Austin used to be the little 2-month-old I took care of for a few months when I was looking for a job. Time flies.



And I have to give out some props to the husband for a nice end of summer surprise. Some “for no real reason” flowers. Big points for that one!


OK, I feel better now. The summer books are officially closed.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

LOOOOOVE the video of Tate singing Neil... how incredibly ADORABLE!!!!!!

Phillips Family said...

Fun times! Let me know how that blog book turns out!