Sunday, March 14, 2010

Can You Tell me How To Get...

We are big fans of Sesame Street over here. I’m not sure at what age they outgrow the show, but I just keep pushing for it as long as he seems to keep enjoying it. So when trying to come up with some fun family days as just a family of 3 (so weird??!!), I knew that Tate would love seeing Sesame Street Live.

He was pretty excited when we picked Daddy up from work and headed out to the place with the “big stage” to see all of our favorite friends: Elmo, Big Bird, Abbie, Cookie Monster, Ernie, and Zoe.

I definitely learned a little parenting lesson during our day. I had told Tate that he could pick out one special treat. The mistake was doing that as the very first thing. At the time, he seemed pretty excited about his choice of a Sesame Street soccer ball. We went to our seats and he sat wide-eyed, entertained, and having a great time through the entire first act. I even had a little teary moment as he was happily singing along.



Then came intermission. Then came the man right in front of us with a huge handful of $10 Elmo balloons. $10! Well all of a sudden, the $12 soccer ball we had already bought was not the top choice. I was mean mommy and stuck to my guns saying we couldn’t have the balloon as well (as I was calculating, ticket prices, parking, treats, and lunch). Although now, I wonder if paying $10 would’ve been worth not having to go through the meltdown that occurred. Shoes were even thrown. Oh my.

After a little "talking to," finally the second act started and all was well in the world again. Kind of. It wasn’t a full recovery, but he still enjoyed the last part of the show. Tate’s favorite part was when the caterpillar turned into a butterfly. With the black lights and neon animals, it was pretty neat to see.

He has long forgotten the Elmo balloon, enjoys kicking around his soccer ball, and about every other day asks me what was my favorite part of Sesame Street Live. Overall, it was a fun and memorable day!


(This wasn't quite the Kodak moment I was hoping for as it was right before we were leaving and he saw more of those crazy $10 Elmo balloons!)

No comments: