Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tate @ 4 1/4

Never got around to posting this when he turned 4, so now this is the post about Tate @ 4 1/4 years old followed at the bottom with the annual video Wade makes for each birthday. This has been quite a year for Tate. As I watch the video, I can see how he's grown and is slowly (although it seems fast) transitioning from this toddler/preschooler to a kid. A kid!


And for my memory bank, here are the tidbits of Tate @ 4...and 1/4:
  • This boy loves sports. Loves all of them. Yes, Sportscenter is on the TV most mornings, but I'm not convinced that we have pushed this interest on him. Certainly, I haven't! :) I think that is just the thing that he enjoys. He loves playing and loves watching. Most days, he can be seen wearing either his Cowboys or Rangers jersey.
  • If you've been around him much, then you know, he has a ton of energy. He wakes up and is ready to go. In fact he was waking up so ready (early!) that we started a new rule. No matter what time he wakes up, he can't come downstairs until 7:00 am. It was a little tricky at first, but he's done really well the last few months.
  • He is definitely a people person and typically knows no stranger. He will have shy moments, but I think he does that more because he thinks it's funny. Many times someone will start a conversation and before they know it, Tate has told them pretty much everything in his current train of thought.
  • He loves going to preschool two days a week. Even though he is a talker on most occasions, it is tough getting details out of him as to what he learns each day, so I try to be sneaky about it. But I know he has learned a lot this past year. He counts to 30, knows all his letters and most of the sounds, counts to 10 in Spanish, and is working on being able to write all of his letters. He is not a fan of coloring and does the writing as fast as possible just to get it done. We're working on that, but he has definitely made progress in the last couple of months.
  • He has quite the memory. What's interesting is what he remembers, which is usually the places we go and the people we were with. It's making me think more and more that his love language is quality time.
  • He is a Daddy's boy. If there is ever an option, Wade is always the preference over me. Big picture, I'm extremely thankful for that and know how important that relationship is. But some days, it can be frustrating for me. But it's not too surprising because as I predicted even before we had kids, Wade is the fun one. :)
  • He LOVES his brother, and the feeling is pretty mutual. I've been pleasantly surprised that there hasn't been any outward or obvious signs of jealousy. He is so excited to see him every morning and tells anyone who is around that this is his brother, who he usually calls "Willy Jack." And a sweet friend from preschool told me that he was called up on stage at Chapel and asked who his best friend was. He said Will. Melt my heart.
  • This past year has definitely been the most challenging as far as discipline goes. At times, extremely challenging. Listening, showing respect, obeying, using good manners...you know all of those fun things. We try so hard to be consistent and to discipline in a way that helps him learn to make the right decisions for himself. It's exhausting.
  • As far as toys, he still loves his monster trucks and also now his "monster motorbicycles." He just recently started getting into superheroes (preferably Batman and Spiderman) and is often talking about who are the good guys and who are the bad guys. He likes Legos, the Batcave, any ball, riding his bike and his Gator, and any and all cars. Wow, could he be any more of a boy? Although I will say, he has a good time when he's with his two girl cousins and can just as enthusiastically join in a game of playing Barbies. :)
  • And he is still a picky eater. This has been an area where we decided to pick our battles. It wasn't worth every meal becoming just that, a battle. He eats a decent variety of food. He doesn't eat junk all day, and he takes a daily vitamin. I'm sure not everyone would agree with our methods, but it's what is best for our family for the time being. The favorites still are: peanut butter sandwiches, milk, cheese quesadillas, beans/rice/guacamole/queso burritos, bananas, noodles and chicken from Pei Wei, waffles or bagels, freeze-dried strawberries, yogurt, and any and all desserts.
I love this boy with my whole heart in a way I didn't know was possible. At times, he makes me want to pull my hair out in frustration. And then at times, he has me laughing hysterically. You get to experience all emotions with this kiddo.

I love my 4-year-old Tater Tot and can't wait to see the great things that year 5 holds for him!

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Awesome video as usual! Love reliving the year of Tate! He's such a FUN boy!