Tuesday, November 08, 2011

For The Memory Bank: the good, the bad, and the gross

I've accepted the fact that my children will (probably) not ever have finished baby books.  So this blog is the next best thing.  I wonder if it will seem as "old" to them as my fake-satin '70s yellow baby book did to me? :)

So some stories to document for memory's sake...
  • If you're friends with Wade on Facebook, then I'm sure you know all about this one.  The short version:  Wade & Will ventured off to Chipotle just the 2 of them.  While standing in line watching their food be prepared, out of nowhere Will goes into projectile vomiting.  All over the glass partition...and yes...into the food being prepared.  Needless to say, ALL of the food was immediately thrown away and ALL of the people in line immediately left the restaurant.  Wow.  Will was smiling and happy through it all, but Wade may still have post-traumatic stress issues.  :)
  • Our small group got together one night with all of the adults and all of the kids (a FULL room of 50+) to assemble "blessing bags" for local homeless full of toiletries, snacks, etc.  Our friend Amber was explaining why we were doing this.  She asked if any of the kids wanted to say a prayer for the people we were helping.  Tate's hand shot up first thing, so he was called on.  Oh boy, I was nervous.  My heart started beating fast, felt my cheeks warm up.  Who knew how it could go? He prays all of the time at home, but he is only 4 and can be unpredictable.  Turned out being a really sweet, sincere prayer for "all of the people with no food."  Toward the end, he digressed a little praying for his shoes.  :)  But it made my momma heart happy to see his eagerness.  I just hope and pray I can continue to encourage and foster that spirit.
  • While at a high school football game, we were sitting by the smoker/grill area eating hot dogs.  It was very crowded, but all of a sudden I noticed Tate crawling on the ground through all of the people and then rolling about 10 feet.  I asked him what in the world he was doing.  With a completely serious face he said, "There was so much smoke coming from the grill that I needed to stop, drop, and roll!" 
  • It took 4 & 3/4 years, but Tate discovered the word stupid.  I really, really do not like that word.  So after the initial moment of telling him that is a mean word and one that we do not use, there have been a couple of times where there was a punishment for saying it again.  I do have to give him some credit (only on the blog) though, for a time when he tried to get out of it.  He said it wasn't a mean word "but was the Spanish word for pretty."  Nice try.
  • And this moment reminded me loud and clear that I am raising boys.  Tate was an astronaut for Halloween, so I asked if Captain Strzinek was excited to report for duty?  He just stopped, smiled sheepishly and giggled.  "Mommy, you said dooody!"  We quickly had a conversation as to what the real meaning of DUTY was.  :)
  • Last month, one of our sweet friends lost her husband unexpectedly from heart surgery complications.  He was in surgery for a long time, and I was a nervous wreck all day checking my phone for updates.  I had told Tate early that morning that we needed to pray for Mr. Jason.  Later that afternoon I was sitting on the couch with Tate watching TV when I read the news that Jason had died.  I started crying and told Tate.  His response was, "But heaven is a really fun place, you don't need to cry."

They can make me laugh and cry in the same day.  They keep me on my toes every single second.  And still they have my heart like no others.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Love reading these stories. Tate showed me his "stop, drop and roll" last weekend. Love him!

Sarah B said...

Great stories! And I know you'll be so glad to have recorded them in some form or fashion :) I'm totally laughing at the "drop & roll" and "duty" - yes, you have boys! As for the Chipotle, well, you just can't make that stuff up!