My books from 2012:
- Twelve Clean Pages by Nika Maples ~ Loved this book and LOVED the story about the boy with the moths. Her story is incredible, terrifying at times, and truly inspirational. And how cool is it that I go to church with her? :)
- The Other Bolyn Girl by Philippa Gregory ~ One of my guilty pleasure readings for the year. Although, hey, it is historically based. Sucks you in and makes you glad you wern't royalty in the 16th century.
- Serving With Eyes Wide Open by David Livermore ~ Very informative reading about short-term mission work. As I hope and plan for many more opportunities to go to Haiti, I want to educate myself on the most effective ways to offer the little help I can. A must-read for anyone considering as well.
- On That Day Everyone Ate by Margaret Trost ~ I loved this brief personal account of a woman whose quick trip to Haiti led to creating a program that feeds 7,500 Haitian children regularly. Inspiring!
- The Guernsy Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shafer ~ I always enjoy reading novels from the WWII time period for some reason, and this was such a great story. I couldn't stop thinking about the guy with the contraband radio.
- Sister by Rosamund Lupton ~ I liked about 75% of this psychological thriller. The way the author describes the sister relationship was heart-wrenching at times and is a page turner. But I wasn't crazy about the ending.
- James: Mercy Triumphs by Beth Moore ~ Oh I can't even explain how much I enjoyed this study. I hadn't really ever studied the book of James. And I'm convinced I will never be same since. I absolutely loved it and would actually like to go through it again. "In order to be full of mercy, we have to feel mercy."
- These Is My Words by Nancy Turner ~ This took me awhile to get into, but I could not put it down during the last 2/3. And there is a total surprise moment that I did not see coming. Loved it and again glad I didn't live as a pioneer woman during the turn of the century!
- 7: Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker ~ Loved it even though it absolutely messes with your head and how you view your time, things and stuff. Funny, convicting, and inspiring all at the same time.
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn ~ A lot of people really love this murder mystery. I did not. I still finished it but was really annoyed at the end. When you spend that much time on a book, you want to like at least one of the characters.
- Love Does by Bob Goff ~ A great read at the end of the year about living out your faith with purpose, adventure and "whimsey."
Pretty much all of the books I read are from recommendations of other people, so I want to return the favor for anyone else looking. Here are my lists from 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, and 2007. Or find me on Goodreads.
I almost always have some novel from the '50s or '60s time period. What happened? Any good ones out there? Some others I have on my to-read list for 2013: A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, Cutting For Stone, A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, need to re-read Parenting With Love & Logic, The Last Town On Earth, the Benjamin Franklin biography I've said I would read for years, and The Tenth Circle.
Would love to hear any other recommendations!

1 comment:
Cutting for Stone is good...although took me awhile to get into. I just finished reading The Shoemaker's Wife. Loved it! And it would fall in your turn of the century genre you like. Have you read Wonder (author is RJ Palacio)? My favorite book I read last year and (IMO) should be required reading for every middle school and high school student. Happy Reading!
Post a Comment