"With mirth and laughter, let old wrinkles come." ~ William Shakespeare
At some point, I really will need to change the title of this blog. It kind of blows my mind that I started this thing a few months before I turned 30.
But for now a recap about turning...37!!?? I won't go into how absolutely bizarre it is that I'm three years away from turning 40. Or how odd is it that I keep meeting people just a few years out of college having already assumed we're close to the same age. Woops. Or how this past year I noticed my first gray hairs and way more wrinkles than I care to admit. It's all just weird. But I'm trying to embrace it and age graciously. With the help of any creams possible. :)
Instead of running and hiding on my birthday, I actually celebrated. Instead of grumbling and being sad about my age, I tried to remember to be thankful for being given another year of life.
Wade has finally figured out that I love celebrating birthdays. Both my own and the birthdays of people around me. It's not about big, expensive presents. It's about making a day special. And this year was definitely special...and fun.
The night before, we went out to dinner with my parents at a local Hibachi place. And my kids proved yet again how different they are. Will loved the food but could care less about the the "food show." Tate was in awe of the show, fire, onion volcano, and tricks. But I practically had to force feed him to eat. :) The rest of us enjoyed our yummy food. And I got some serious Mom Points from Tate for wearing the crazy hat and letting them sing Happy Birthday. Don't I look thrilled?
So then the actual day was here. My mother-in-law volunteered a pretty great birthday present of giving me most of the day off from mom duties. She picked up the boys that morning and kept them until after dinner. I was able to have lunch with several sweet friends at a yummy, girly place followed by a pedicure.
And then I have no shame in admitting that I came home and did something I've wanted to do for over a year. I finally watched Justin Bieber's documentary. Don't judge. The boy has got talent.
Then my birthday date came home and picked me up. We got a good laugh that he borrowed his dad's fancy car for the occasion. But the weather was too perfect (clear, sunny, 80 degrees) to not enjoy it in a convertible.
And the night was perfect. Since it was one of the first pretty, spring Friday nights we knew all of the patios would be crowded. So we just took our time running errands and then like a bunch of crazy kids, we headed to dinner at Joe T. Garcia's around 9:30 p.m. Who are we??!! :)
It was a great day. And as cliche as it sounds, I have a vivd memory of driving down the highway with the beautiful sun shining, wind in my hair, Mumford & Sons playing loudly, sitting next the man I love, and just being grateful for the abundance of blessings in my life. I'll take even more gray hairs and wrinkles if it means I get to live this life yet another day.
Bring on Year 38!





No comments:
Post a Comment