Proof that it's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks. The end of March was my two-year tennisversary.
Until two years ago, I had never played a single game of tennis in my life. Three other friends & I (none of them had played either) found a sweet lady who gave us weekly lessons for several months. As in beginner, what you teach the kids, from scratch, kind of lessons.
From there we all joined a recreational doubles league. And from there, my new love was born. I can honestly say I love it. Having never had a real hobby or sport...ever...this is all new territory. Sure I've signed up for a few exercise programs here and there but never stayed committed. And never really enjoyed them, either.
Now I have something I absolutely love and wish I could be playing just about every day of the week. Clearly that won't happen any time soon, so if I can get in drills and a league day each week, I am a happy camper.
And a fun benefit to exercise I enjoy is that it gives me an opportunity to spend more time with my Dad and with Tate. My Dad and I play each other every now and then, and I am DETERMINED to win a set against him one day. He doesn't back off his level of play for me. I've come kind of close (tied 4-4 but then the lights on the court went out!). And Tate has taken up an interest in the game as well. He's done a very low-key, fun tennis after school program. Gives us a chance to go play together as well, which is really fun.
My first day to go to a lesson and first time to play in the league made me a nervous wreck. But I'm so glad I did...with the help of some great friends.
And the lesson to be learned...you're never too old to try something new...in fact you may end up LOVING it!
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment