But really processing it. And really coming to terms with how different my life here is. That's where days and days go by before I can put words down, even if my mind can't stop racing over it all. Both Emily & I shared in our Sunday School class at church, and I wrote about that here. But now it's finally time to see the sweet faces that are the reason I keep going back.
I'm so thankful that these 31 beauties are my friends. I don't go to Haiti to feel better about myself or to exploit their situation. I go and keep going because I love these kids. I love that already I've been able to see and appreciate that they are growing and getting older. Just like my friends and family here, I want to continue to develop my relationships. I hope & pray for more & more opportunities to go back.
I don't think my few days with them does anything huge or life-changing for them. What I do pray is that somehow it gives them a tiny little glimpse into the love I feel for them, which reminds them that they are of value. And from that, they realize and know that the love of their Heavenly Father is even more than what I can show.
There are so many more thoughts constantly circling in my head about this part of my life. The more I go and learn, the more confused I get about what my role in all of it should be. What is really helping? What does loving them really look like? I don't know all of those answers but find myself asking every single day.
But for now all I know is to build relationships, learn more, provide help where I can, and hug & play a whole lot.
Without further adieu, the other 31 pieces of my heart...
Dressing for church is serious stuff. :)
LOVE...
Time for a meeting.
And yes, we talked them into doing a Harlem Shake video. I'm sure they think we are all kinds of crazy. But it was SO much fun!
Olympic scouts, where are you??!!I just swung the jump rope this time (after falling one too many times). These kids can put me to shame with that thing.
Always cracks me up how much they LOVE having their picture taken and posing. Especially if sunglasses are involved. Work it.
During this trip, I got to experience one of my top Haiti moments. Or at least a "moment" that lasted several hours. And I loved every single second. Long story, but after over a year of research and because of the incredible generosity of friends, we were able to bring a children's Bible IN CREOLE for each of the kids.
We took our time one morning with each child individually. We gave them their Bible, had them sign their name in it, and prayed for each one. I've never spent time with each one on their own like that. Seriously one of my most favorite times there. They each got so quiet and serious. I LOVED seeing them write their names in the Bible knowing what a rite of passage that is for any kid. And then the opportunity to pray for them by name thanking the Lord that each of them was fearfully & wonderfully made. My heart wanted to explode.
And another big thank you & shout out to all of the family & friends that sent $ donations. We were able to buy a huge truckload of food & supplies from a local market. Thank you, thank you!
Dork! :)
Each time I go, I bring copies of all my pictures from the previous trips. The kids love it. One interesting thing this time, I noticed how much they were all fighting over the pictures of the countryside. It is truly a beautiful place.
Parachute time!
LOVE this grin!
And I think this is my new favorite picture. :)
We left for Haiti on February 15. So as a Valentine's Day project all 100 Kindergartners at Tate's school, the kids in Abbi's class, and kids at Will's preschool all made cards for us to bring. One funny thing was that when we explained the cards to the translators, they thought it was weird. Lesson learned on cultural sensitivity...in Haiti Valentine's Day is definitely a "holiday for lovers." Not quite what we do here. A little awkward but the kids still enjoyed receiving these handmade cards from so many kids in Texas.
And I loved how serious they were about signing big thank you cards for the classes back home.
Miss Fabiola quickly realized her sucker could make her lips a pretty red color. :)Another BIG thank you to all of those that helped provide for the donation of new stainless plates.
BFFs!
I try really hard when I come back home not to go overboard with the "kids in Haiti only..." lecture. My family hears plenty of it, but I try to restrain myself so that people won't run and hide from me. But BELIEVE ME I plan to pull this picture out next time I hear a kid complain about being bored. Half of an old plastic milk jug & an old tire rim. Sebastian was entertained for a good 30 minutes!
He was super cuddly this trip. I wasn't complaining!
And just a little note about my travelling buddy. On this trip it was just me & Emily. We thought there might be more who would go, but it was just the two of us (yes, we sang that song a lot). In fact we were the only two staying in the entire Guest House. We had some nervousness about this, but we made sure to always show caution, make wise decisions, and trust those we knew we should trust. We are so thankful for God's grace in allowing a wonderful and safe trip.
And I'm thankful for my friend. There is quite a bond that is quickly developed when you share a love for these kids. Her dorkiness, spreadsheet-making, no-crying, Harlem Shaking, and most all of all, fierce love for these kids amazes me.
Cheers!
And to my Haiti friends, until next time...
Seyè a beni nou ak kenbe ou;
Seyè a fè nou santi li sou ou,
Men, gen pitye ou;
Seyè a fè nou wè jan li sou ou,
Men, ban nou kè poze
Here is a compilation of video from this trip. For any Olympic scouts, go to 2:29 and sign this boy up!






























































No comments:
Post a Comment