Sunday, April 09, 2006

I just don't get it

.

We live a couple miles from Texas Motor Speedway, so since it was another NASCAR weekend, I figured I should try to see what the hoopla was about. After all, you would think they were giving away the $1 million golden ticket by the crazy bumper-to-bumper traffic the last few days.

So, I watched on TV as cars raced around a big track for hours.

I really did try, but I just don't get it. I don't understand how it's a sport. I don't understand how it's entertaining to watch. And, I really don't understand this video, "Waiting for Race Week," which features some fellow Texans that came out 12 days before the race to get the best camp spot.

My favorite line..."We're all rednecks...some of us just have more fun than the others."
http://www.dfw.com/multimedia/dfw/news/archive/0331SPEEDWAY/index.html

Sorry to any fans out there, maybe I'm missing something?

4 comments:

Janell said...

Kelly~
You aren't missing anything!! I don't get it either! I personally think it is a waste of money and gas! Doesn't it pollute the air too? Bah humbug! I think it is dumb!
Missed talking to you on Sunday!
J

Kent said...

Kelly-

Good to see you're blogging. Hope you and Wade are doing well. I will admit to being a huge sports fan but I don't get NASCAR either. And, believe me, I have tried over and over again. But it's just boring. Plus, I don't like it when I see the Rebel flag at the races. Why do people still insist on carrying that flag? Take care.

Kent Benfer

Anonymous said...

My understanding is that you have to be there in person - and then you are hooked. I just don't get it either. 'Oh look!!! Another left turn!'

Kelly said...

Glad I'm not the only one. I agree with "anonymous" that people say you have to experience it first hand to have a full appreciation. I'll just take everyone's word for that.

Kent, so good to hear from you. That's funny that you mentioned the Conf. flag. I completely agree...it drives me crazy when I see one. And, I've seen several this past week b/c of the race traffic.

One crazy fact...my high school was one of the last in TX to have the "Rebel" flag as a school symbol. My senior year (1994), we voted to get rid of it. Yeah, 1994, as in just a few years shy of the 21t century!

happy blogging!