Thursday, September 06, 2007

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

We survived all three! Although I’m a born-and-raised-Texan, I have a ton of family on the West Coast. So every couple of years, we make the trek out to the Bay Area in California to visit family, have them laugh at our use of the word y’all and “southern” accent (which isn’t really that southern), eat yummy sourdough bread and In-and-Out french fries, and catch a CAL football game.

The trip began with Tate’s first plane ride. Unfortunately, the first part included a 20 minute delay and then 30 more minutes of sitting in an airplane with a baby that wanted a bottle and a nap….and with NO air conditioning. All I can say is “Baby Einstein” may be the name of our next child. That DVD saved the day. I’m sure the people sitting by us were glad as well. Tate actually did great and by the end, he even charmed the flight crew and got to have his picture taken with the pilot’s cap while sitting in the cockpit seat. Pretty impressive!


We had a great time catching up with family that we don’t get to see that often and introduce them to Tate and my niece, Mallory. Here’s some of the group at dinner. Not sure what my Dad is doing in this picture?


The next day was the big CAL/Tennessee game. Wade covered most of the game on his blog. The game really was a lot of fun, and we won! Here are all of the guys including Tate, Wade, my Dad, and my grandfather sporting their CAL hats. Thanks to my Mom, we were able to go with everyone and enjoy the game child-free.


So the train part of the trip was when we decided to meet my cousin, Amy, in San Francisco. The Bay Bridge was shut down for repairs, so Wade, Tate, Shannon, Mallory, and I braved the city’s public transportation system. Braved is the key word here…at least when you have two babies in two strollers with you. The BART rail and the Muni street cars were packed. People were crammed in like sardines, and it was hot. Enough said. But we survived and made it without too many meltdowns.

We had a great day in the city. It was the 40th anniversary of the “Summer of Love” concert in Golden Gate Park. We stopped by to check out the music and 50,000 hippies. We quickly realized that we didn’t quite fit in, even with my attempt of putting Tate in a tie-died T-shirt. It definitely made for some interesting people watching, though.

The next day was the automobile portion as we drove to visit more family in Roseville. Along the way we stopped at the Nut Tree. As a kid, I grew up going to the Nut Tree with my grandmother when we would come to visit. It shut down for about 10 years and then recently re-opened. So we had to go back and revel in the nostalgia. Tate got to go on his first carousel, and Shannon and I got to take more pictures with the “animal heads.” I think we have the same picture of us from every other trip there. It was pretty neat being there with my own child this time.


Thanks to all of the CA Enrights for the visit. We had a great time and can’t wait until the next trip…and the next time y’all make it to Texas!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! Looks like such a fun trip and I'm proud you were so brave to do so much in the form of transportation :)
Love the cockpit picture! Jackson is going to have to ham it up tomorrow....he's been on 8 flights in the last 12 months and so far NO invitations to sit up front!

Anonymous said...

I calculated how much we walked on my google map of the park--over 5 miles!

Great picture of you and Shannon at the Nut Tree! Do they still have the rocking horses and pineapple with marshmallow sauce?

Would love to see more photos!
-Amy

Ashley said...

Tate is just getting more adorable all the time; you better watch out with those blue eyes of his!! So glad ya'll had a great time in CA, that's pretty funny that we were there the same time! The Golden Gate bridge was a little crazier than usual and it just seemed everything in general was pretty packed (ie: holiday weekend)! Oh well, we just loved the weather; I'll take it any day over the Texas heat!! Loved all your pictures!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Glad you made it to the Nut Tree, unfortunately without the restaurant, it will never quite be the same. Glad everyone made it home OK and it was sooooo good to see everyone. Both babies were very well behaved despite what their parents' thought.

Love you all-
Aunt Barb

Wade said...

I think we should start a $5 pool to guess what your dad is doing in that group picture. I was sitting right next to him and I don't even know!

W

Robyn said...

What a fun trip!!! Don't you just love having relatives on the West Coast? My sister lives in Portland, OR and my favorite trip every year is to go see her. And, that Tate is just something else!

Shannon said...

Good recap! We all need to swap our pictures next time I'm in town.

I think Mallory misses Tate, she says his name every time she sees his picture...sweet!

Anonymous said...

Regarding the picture...I was banging my Head in desperation over the slow/bad service at the Restaurant!!

Glad everyone had a great time in California.

Dad/rpe

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.