Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Many Thanks


It may be years before this dining room table will ever have the pleasure of hosting a Thanksgiving dinner. Is that sad? Isn't that the pinnacle achievment in the life of a formal dining room table?

With both of our families here in town, I'm realizing that I may never have to cook a turkey. Since I'm not one to enjoy much cooking anyway, I've always been pretty OK with that. This was the first year that I BRIEFLY...I repeat...BRIEFLY thought to myself, maybe I'll give it a try one year. Now in my process of motivation, I need several Thanksgivings of thinking that to work up the courage to actually do it. We'll see. Check back with me in about 5 years.

Despite the aroma of a big, cooking bird in our home, we still had two rounds of a wonderful Thanksgiving. Round 1 with the Enrights was a week early. All of the family was there along with our family-friends and their new grandbaby. It was a fun time to see everyone and wrangle 3 kids under the age of 2. As it is every year, my Mom's cooking was great. Too bad the night ended with me at home with a 101 degree fever and horrible sore throat. Seriously, what has happened to my immune system?

Round 2 began on Thanksgiving Day with lunch for three at Whataburger. I'm pretty sure the Pilgrims made some kind of version of french fries, right? We then headed to Frisco and had an overnight hotel excursion with the rest of the Strzineks. We had a delicious Thanksgiving dinner together that night and a day of shopping on Friday.

Tate thoroughly enjoyed his first Thanksgiving with all of the family and friends around that love him so much. Each day, I was reminded of all the many things in my life that I'm thankful.

Now for a teaser, the weekend finale was an early "1st Birthday Party." More coming soon...

7 comments:

GliterallyScoot said...

You've been tagged! Check out my blog for the details. :-)

By the way -- gorgeous table!

Jennifer said...

We were talking about that last night at Bunco- do people really use formal dining rooms anymore?

I too thought about hosting at our house. I think it may be a while but I'm sure at some points our moms will be ready to hand that lovely duty over to us.

Tate one already? Wow!

Shannon said...

I've been holding back my birthday pictures until you post.

You forgot to mention that you contributed to the Thanksgiving meal...remember peeling the potatoes for the FIRST time ever??

Unknown said...

Glad it was a fun holiday! I had Thanksgiving at my house 4 years ago with Scott's fam and my fam. Fun, but I am not ready for it every year, that is for sure!!!

Monica said...

Your dinning room is beautiful. Have Thanksgiving one year, but have it catered. You can still pull the turkey out of your oven. : ) I can't believe your baby is almost a year old. It has gone so fast. I have enjoyed watching him grow this past year. We really need to find a way to freeze time. Babies grow to fast.

Phylemon said...

As the resident fat person, let me extol the virtues of hosting Thanksgiving. If you are the hostess, you get to decide the menu, meaning that the Turkey will be cooked the way you like it (no silly Tur-Duk-ens), and the Sweet Potatoes can have all the Brown Sugar and Marshmellows you want. Jennifer and I hosted this year, and it was the best Thanksgiving in years.

Lisa said...

Beautiful dining room! Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know Tate made the holiday even more special for you! Can't wait to see pics from his early birthday party.