Friday, November 30, 2007

The Party

Alas, a post about the big party. Well, it was as big as you can get for a 1-year-old that has no idea what is going on. We celebrated with family and friends a week and half early over the Thanksgiving weekend. We were all already together for the holiday, and this way Aunt Shannon could be there. (This was her last weekend to travel as she’s due to have Baby Morgan in 3 weeks.)

The party went great and was lots of fun for us all. Here ‘s Tate is his super-cool 1 T-shirt saying "Let's Party!"


This is probably his first and last party that won’t be totally themed out with some kind of superhero or sport, so I took advantage and enjoyed having all of my favorite party food and decorations. Although, this is the first party we’ve hosted where two of the main dishes were chicken nuggets and goldfish crackers. Thanks to my sister for helping me all morning with the food, we had lots of good stuff to go around.

Hanging from the chandelier were all of his monthly block photos. After we take his picture on his real birthday (December 5), I’ll post all 12.

The party started with lots of play time for the kids and catching up for the adults.



Then all of those at the party that knew how to write filled out a little card about Tate, including their first or favorite memory, how they would describe him, and what they think he’ll be when he grows up. Some of my favorite responses were heartbreaker, soccer player, swimmer, Dallas Cowboys’ Tight End, and “anything he sets his mind to.”


Then the big entertainment of the afternoon was my ode to Gymboree. Yes, I’ve fallen for all of their marketing ploys and bought home versions of the fun games that Tate loves to play at his weekly class. We had bubble time that the kids loved, followed by parachute time. It’s amazing how universally-loved those are by kids most ages.



I think we wore Alex out.


Then, it was time for cake. To use an Oprah term, I had a “full-circle” moment as I ordered my son’s first birthday cake at the same bakery I ordered my wedding cake almost 9 years ago. Surreal! Since Tate is such an independent self-feeder and major grabber, I had high hopes for a classic cake-all-over-the-face Kodak moment.

Not so much. I think 20 people singing and staring at him kind of overwhelmed him a tad, because he wanted nothing to do with that cake. At least the rest of us enjoyed it...yummy!

Then on to the presents. As expected, the tissue paper was much more exciting than the presents at the time. But that has changed. He has loved playing with his new books, activity station, cars, push toys, magnets, bath toys, and ball pounder. And, he has a few more cute clothing items to add to his collection. Thank you everyone! I’ll save his present from us until the big reveal when it arrives and is put together.




Here are all of his sweet friends and cousins that spent the afternoon with us. Even though he didn't quite say it, Tate loves you and your parents all very much!

This picture just makes me laugh. “Put up your dukes or stop laughing at me. My Mom said I look adorable in this goofy hat.”

How is it possible that we are now parents of a toddler?


And last but not least, after we said our goodbyes, had a nap, and settled back down that night, we brought his cake out for one more try. Wouldn’t you know it, he loved it!!


More sappiness and nostalgia to come in the next few days as we get closer and closer to the big day.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, the cake's as big as he is!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry we missed the big event. Looks like everyone had a great time. Just wait until Christmas. What fun.

Love to all, Aunt B

Lisa said...

Terrific pics of Tate's big bash! I just love the hanging block photos decoration idea! And that birthday cake is so beautiful! It's neat that you came "full circle." Looks like Tate had a fun time with his family & friends & got a lot of great gifts. Are you as upset as I am that our baby boys are turning into toddlers?!

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

love it! happy birthday Tate!

Susan

Shannon said...

It was a super fun birthday party! I think Mallory's favorite thing by far was the parachute, she LOVED it! Such a good idea.

Sorry you guys had to celebrate so early, but I'm glad we were able to make it.

Jody said...

It was a blast! Alex is still getting over that parachute and those fun bubbles! He LOVED it! Addison was surveying the whole time she was there and making sure nobody else was catching Tate's eye. I am pretty sure Tate didn't want to get messy with his cake b/c he wanted to impress the ladies (Addison) while they (she) was there! ... Just a hunch!
It was great Kelly! You (and Shannon) did a FABULOUS job preparing for this VERY special occasion! What a blessing Tate is!

Love you guys,
Janell and Jody too

Kendra said...

Such fun pics of the big first bday party!! He will love looking at them someday, and you did a GREAT job!! Way to go!

Audra Laney said...

The pictures on the chandelier was a great idea! I'm so glad he decided to come around and play in the cake for your memory's sake! :)

P.S. His mom was right about the adorable hat.

Keri said...

I LOVE IT KELLY!!! You did it right in my book!! Big parties are the best!

Robyn said...

What a happy birthday party he had!!! What an amazing milestone.

Pearson Family said...

LOVE the cake! Looks like you planned a perfect party. Happy birthday Tate!