I knew Kari all throughout our ACU years, and we first met when we lived on the same hall of Gardner dorm our freshman year. I think anyone that came into contact with Kari would use so many of the same words to describe her: joyful, friendly, talented, spunky, and bubbly. She had a great sparkly eye and smile combination that was contagious, and she was always bouncing around singing something.
She, Garyn, and I lived together for just about the last 2 ½ years at ACU. I remember when we found our duplex on Turtle Cove and were SO excited to be officially living off-campus. We thought we had arrived. I remember when we all went to Wal-Mart to buy our first grown-up purchase -- a big rug for the living room. We brought it home, rolled it out, and then Amber Lucy (Kari’s dog) peed on it. Hilarious.
I remember all of us racing home in between classes to eat lunch and watch Days of Our Lives. I remember her little blue car that she was scared to drive if we were ever in a big city. I remember driving home with her from a visit to San Antonio when a huge tornado storm passed right over us. We were petrified but just laughed the whole time.
I remember when she would eat some kind of yummy sweet the way she would make a high-pitched “mmmm, mmmm, mmmm” sound. I remember the way she encouraged me to give Wade a chance.
I remember when we moved out of the duplex and into an apartment. The funniest story there was when the bathroom sink broke and about 6 inches of water flooded the entire apartment. We were a bunch of clueless girls and didn’t know what to do but run around screaming and laughing...and pause to take a goofy picture.
And of course, I always remember Kari singing and dancing. For someone who never had official dance training, she was amazingly talented. She loved to perform and was a natural. She was in just about every ACU theatre production and was a Sing Song hostess. You could see on her face how much she loved being on stage.

I wish so bad she had known and felt the love that so many people had for her. I wish so bad that I could go back in time and change things. I hope and pray that somehow good can come from the tragic. I hope and pray that more will be taught on how to handle depression with much more grace extended. I hope and pray that the legacy of the Kari we all knew and loved will live on in her two beautiful daughters.
Happy Birthday Kari!


18 comments:
A lovely tribute, Kelly. Today is my birthday, too, and I had forgotten I shared it with Kari (think it's also Misty L's, too!) My prayer is yours: that God will bring good from the tragic. He can and will do that.
I remember how Kari was the one who told me that bringing over Diet Coke and microwave popcorn one evening for a study break was a good move on my part . . . even though you didn't even let me in the door because you had just taken a shower and still had a towel around your head!!
Your friend sounds like such a wonderful person and I wish I had known her at ACU. I agree so much that the perception of depression and people who suffer with it should be spoken about openly without judgement or speculation.
What a sweet memoir of your friend! I didn't know her but she sounded like a wonderful person and I can only imagine how much you miss her!!
That was a beautiful tribute to your friend.
Perfectly put, Kelly.
Hi Kelly,
My mom told me about your blog, so I'm checking it out. I love it! Thanks for sharing all the funny memories. I remember coming to stay with you guys and I always had fun. Thanks for being such a great friend to Kari and still remaining that way!! Take care!
Kelli Lara (Firestone), Kari's little sister
what a sweet post.
What a great tribute to someone who was obviously a great friend.
This is one of those weird CoC/ACU connections: I knew Kari when she was in elementary school. We lived in Lovington, N.M. where my dad was a minister and her dad was a banker and we went to the same church. I remember exactly what she looked like back then. I also remember playing with her little sister (Kelli?), who was a baby then. Then they moved away -- to Carlsbad, I think -- and we moved to southeast Texas. I remember figuring out who she was when I was working at ACU but I never got a chance to tell her who I was. I doubt she would have remembered me since she was so young back then.
I still run into people in church circles who believe reading the Bible and trusting in God is all we need to treat depression. I pray that as a faith group, we are moving away from that ignorant and hurtful mentality.
That is such a precious tribute to a very precious soul. Thanks for sharing!
What a kind memorial for your friend. Beautiful post.
Kelly-
This was beautiful! I had forgotten you were roommates with Kari. What an absolute delight she was to be with...She always made everything more fun. It is easy to see why you two would of been great friends.
Thanks for this beautiful tribute!
Love you-
BJB
Kelly,
I have tried to leave a comment many times...and...being "Blog illiterate" my comments didn't make it through! I hope you get this one!
We just wanted to let you know your "Remembering Kari" touched our hearts and meant so much to us, her parents. As we talked about before, I just don't want her to be forgotten & your beautiful tribute affirmed that the memory of her life will go on through those of us that loved her so much...
The words you used to describe her were so "right." How we miss those sparkly eyes & bright smile, but we still see them in her precious daughters. Especially Maryn...she looks like Kari, sings like her, and certainly dances like her! Little Elizabeth does everything her big sister does, so she is singing & dancing in ways only a 2 yr. old can!
Ronnie wants me to make copies of your tribute for each girl and save the copies for them until we can give Maryn & Elizabeth this sweet memory of their mother who loved them dearly...
There were some stories I had never heard! I think I'm GLAD I didn't know about the tornado coming back from San Antonio and I apologize for Amber Lucy "breaking in" your new rug! Since she lives with us now, she doesn't "lose control" anymore! I'm so glad that Kari convinced Wade to bring over the diet coke & popcorn, but even more importantly that you DID "give him a chance"! What a beautiful family you have with Wade & little Tate!
Thank you for being such a good friend to our Kari, and thank you for continuing that friendship through us, her parents. You are truly an example of what God wants His children to be...loving, giving, & compassionately thinking of others that are hurting. We pray that God richly blesses you & your
family and that we will always "be in touch!"
We want to take you all to lunch again, and get to know Tate better! I know how proud you are him...he's SO cute!
Take care & hope to see you soon.
Jill & Ronnie (aka - Mi-Mi & Dad-Dad to Maryn & Elizabeth)
Your post about Kari is just sweet sweet sweet. It made me cry as I remembered the spunky girl she was. One of God's greatest gifts is friendship and it does last a lifetime and beyond. I am with you as I wish she could have felt how much people loved her!! You have blessed her memory and blessed her family.
Kelly,
What a beautiful story about a beautiful person. I'm sorry I didn't get to be around Kari as much as you. I,too, hope all of us will come to understand depression better and learn how we can better reach out to those of us who battle its hold on us. This blog meant so much to Ronnie & Jill that they sent it on to me to enjoy also.
Thanks again for taking the time and caring enough to write this piece about a wonderful girl who will live on in our hearts until we're together again.
Joe (Jill's cousin)
Thanks Kelly. Kari was one of my dearest best friends from 3rd grade on; we roomed at ACU until I got pregnant. It breaks my heart our friendship went separate ways after that . . . we just had different circumstances to deal with and life took us on different paths. The last time I saw and hugged Kari was on her wedding day. I remember how her eyes lit up when she saw me and how I so wanted to be a part of her wedding, as she was mine. Face it, everyone just wanted to be around Kari! I truly have a hole in my heart and soul from where our friendship left off . . . Our "kindred spirits" that we had labeled ourselves as, from Anne of Green Gables, was still and is still always there; we just will renunite them in Heaven. Your words and mainly just seeing pictures of Kari, made my heart beat fast and I began to shake, missing her so. Love you always, Kari.
Lori C.
Hi, Kelly. Wonderful tribute. I think of her still, all the time.
check out my blog today, it is about her and another tragedy which just happened in my family.
I love the pictures of your kiddo. He is wonderful. blessings.
LeighAnn Heil
www.leighannheil.blogspot.com
Post a Comment