
I figured I would try to post my book reviews after I read the book rather than at the end of the year when my 30-something memory displays its diminishing abilities.
So the first book of 2008 for me was Identical Strangers by Paula Bernstein and Elyse Schein. I love true stories, and this one was fascinating. The identical twin sisters were placed for adoption at just a few months of age. The adoption agency was secretly taking part of a scientific study to see the true test of nature vs. nurture, so they separated the twins (and several other sets of multiples) and placed them in different adoptive families. So hard to believe that would really happen!
The book is written in a journal format alternating between each of the twin’s perspectives. In between their narratives is really interesting research on identical twins.
The book covers several years of the twins meeting each other, getting to know each other and their respective families, and the process of searching for their biological mother.
To me one of the most intriguing parts of their story and journey is that at one moment they feel connected to this person that shares the same DNA, and the next moment, they resent any sense of similarity. It speaks a lot to the basic desire to be unique. So what happens to that desire when you meet someone who looks and acts a lot like you?
There are sections of the book that are serious page turners and then there are sections that are pretty slow. Overall, it’s a very interesting story and worth the read.

2 comments:
My mother-in-law just ordered this book and I hope to borrow it when she is finished. I cannot believe an agency would mess with people's lives like that!
Thanks for sharing that!!! My housemate is one half of twin brothers and they keep me entertained a lot with that :-)
They hate at their brother exactly the thing they hate with themselves so this can end out quite tricky. But I have given up on finding how they differ - in most of the time they are just alike (same movies, same pizza, same way of talking...).
It's fun to go out with both of them and see the people looking.
Post a Comment