Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day


All politics aside, today was a historical day. I’ve got many friends on both sides of the party lines, but I can’t help but think and hope that at least for today it doesn’t matter.

It was quite a sight to watch on TV the 2 million people show up to be part of history. And I found myself tearing up several times as I listened to interviews of baby boomers and older saying that they never thought they would see this day.

I’ve mentioned it several times, but the visit to the Civil Rights Museum in Memphis (also the same place MLK was assassinated) made a lasting impact on me. It provided a very small glimpse into a cruel world of racism and hatred that I was fortunate to never see. I’m sure those older than me find it hard to believe that just 50 years from witnessing those atrocities firsthand, we now have a black president.

I’m thankful today to live in a country that can have such a smooth and friendly transition of power and one that can briefly put away the red and blue states to celebrate a new chapter in our history.

OK enough of serious Kelly…here are my less-important observations.

  • You could not pay me enough money to actually be in Washington, D.C., right now. It looked SO cold and SO crowded, not a combination I would deal well with.
  • Are those First Daughters not the cutest things you have ever seen? Loved their little coats.
  • Michelle’s yellow coat and dress weren’t my favorite, but she still looked great.
  • Did you see the guy out in the audience asleep?
  • What in the world happened with the mess-up of the oath of office? Whoops.
  • Hopefully, they get to sleep in a little tomorrow morning.

4 comments:

tara said...

Loved their coats and scarves, the daughters are adorable!
I didn't think yellow was a good color for Michelle Obama, she would have looked great in a kelly green or a bright red.
And can we talk about Aretha Franklin's hat??!? Who told her that was a good idea? She should fire them!

Shannon said...

I love it. A split personality blog!! I love both of your sides. Your serious side teaches me so much and your not-so-serious side makes me laugh.

Phillips Family said...

I did like Michelle's outfit, but don't think the color came across too well on television. I did admire the bold shoe/glove color choice as well.

And seriously...if you are the one to give the oath to the incoming President of the US: USE SOME NOTES! Aaargh!

Contact Me for an appointment said...

You are so right! This was such an important day for our country and I loved that we have such a peaceful transition in power, too. I teared up several times, as well and could only think wow we have to pray for this man and this family especially two young girls. I wouldn't want my Dad/husband to have that job. It was an amazing day in so many ways. I also was proud of George W and what he has done for our countrythe last 8 years- mistakes of course but I believe he did his best and that is all I can ask for.