
Yes, I did some “taking care of business” Elvis-style in Memphis this past weekend. It was a fun-filled long weekend with one of my bestest friends ever, Paige. I headed to Little Rock to see her, Bert, and little Anna. And then the 2 of us took a quick rode trip to Memphis. I had never been there but really enjoyed the city. In just over 24 hours, we packed in about as much as possible.
We did the obligatory (although many people I’ve talked to didn’t seem to feel quite as obligated) tour of Graceland. My impressions…the ‘70s were a rough period for home decorating, Elvis really was revolutionary (and cute), and extravagance has taken on a whole new meaning in 2007 (he bought Graceland for only $100,000!!).


Then we enjoyed some classic Memphis barbecue at the famous Rendevous restaurant. We kept hearing about the “sausage and cheese” appetizer, so we were in a wild and crazy mood and ordered one. It pretty much tasted just like sausage and just like a stick of cheese. Strange?? The pork ribs were very impressive, though.
Then we headed down to the famous Beale Street (the birthplace of Rock 'N Roll and home of blues) for a night out on the town. We found a fun little quaint club and listened to some authentic blues music. Honestly, I didn’t understand most of what he was saying/singing, but he sure was having fun. And I have a whole new appreciation for the harmonica!
So the 2 crazy party girls that we are (ha!), we were rushing back to the hotel around 11:00 p.m. and crashed. :)
So the 2 crazy party girls that we are (ha!), we were rushing back to the hotel around 11:00 p.m. and crashed. :)

The next day included a humbling visit to the Civil Rights Museum. If you are ever in Memphis, you must visit this museum. It is very well done and includes a sobering view of past ignorance.
During part of the tour, you walk through a similar bus that Rosa Parks stood her ground by sitting in her seat. I’ve heard that story for years, but walking through that bus just put it in a whole new perspective for me. I can’t imagine the humiliation and shame African Americans must have felt to be told they were second-class citizens just because of the color of their skin. And the most horrific thing to me is that this was only 40-50 years ago!
The museum was built adjacent to the Lorraine Hotel, where Martin Luther King, Jr., was assassinated. It became eerily quiet as you walk through the hotel room and hear his powerful words on the audio tour. I was again reminded of the incredible and brave work he did in such a short lifetime.
There is so much more information in the museum that was very informative, while at times, very disturbing. But as difficult as it is to see and learn about, it is our history. Check out their website.
We finished off Memphis with lunch at the Arcade Restaurant, which is the oldest cafe in the city. The movies The Client and Great Balls of Fire were also filmed there. Fun!

The weekend was so much fun for several reasons. As always, any time I get to spend with my friend and her family is special. We have been friends since our freshman year at ACU. In 13 years of friendship, we have been through some pretty incredible ups and downs in life together. She is a faithful and loyal friend, one of those that you know without a doubt you’ll be friends with your entire life.
It was also fun for me because this was my first extended time away on my own since Tate was born. It felt very strange not having to pack a diaper bag each day or worry about what clothes conceal spit up the best. Of course I missed him, but I didn’t let that take away from a great trip. And it was so fun to see that big gummy smile when I got home.
And it ended up being a celebratory weekend after all for Paige, because she had just received word about a brand new job as “Dr. Reynolds” teaching English classes in the fall at the University of Central Arkansas. Woo-hoo! She has worked long and hard for this, and I’m SO excited for her!
During part of the tour, you walk through a similar bus that Rosa Parks stood her ground by sitting in her seat. I’ve heard that story for years, but walking through that bus just put it in a whole new perspective for me. I can’t imagine the humiliation and shame African Americans must have felt to be told they were second-class citizens just because of the color of their skin. And the most horrific thing to me is that this was only 40-50 years ago!
The museum was built adjacent to the Lorraine Hotel, where Martin Luther King, Jr., was assassinated. It became eerily quiet as you walk through the hotel room and hear his powerful words on the audio tour. I was again reminded of the incredible and brave work he did in such a short lifetime.
There is so much more information in the museum that was very informative, while at times, very disturbing. But as difficult as it is to see and learn about, it is our history. Check out their website.
We finished off Memphis with lunch at the Arcade Restaurant, which is the oldest cafe in the city. The movies The Client and Great Balls of Fire were also filmed there. Fun!

The weekend was so much fun for several reasons. As always, any time I get to spend with my friend and her family is special. We have been friends since our freshman year at ACU. In 13 years of friendship, we have been through some pretty incredible ups and downs in life together. She is a faithful and loyal friend, one of those that you know without a doubt you’ll be friends with your entire life.
It was also fun for me because this was my first extended time away on my own since Tate was born. It felt very strange not having to pack a diaper bag each day or worry about what clothes conceal spit up the best. Of course I missed him, but I didn’t let that take away from a great trip. And it was so fun to see that big gummy smile when I got home.
And it ended up being a celebratory weekend after all for Paige, because she had just received word about a brand new job as “Dr. Reynolds” teaching English classes in the fall at the University of Central Arkansas. Woo-hoo! She has worked long and hard for this, and I’m SO excited for her!



9 comments:
So glad you posted the pictures! It looks like you guys had tons of fun, and I'm glad you got some time away.
Tell Paige congrats from me! That is awesome!
I love Memphis, too - great history and culture! So nice to hear about and see Paige. Glad y'all got a good girls' weekend. I'll be with my ACU roommates this weekend :)
Hi Kelly -
I've been reading your blog for a while, but never commented for some reason (lurker!). After reading about your super fun weekend with Paige, I figured I would take the plunge and leave a comment. Sounds like you guys had a great time and saw some fun and humbling things.
I'm glad you survived the weekend away from Tate. Sounds like Wade held down the fort just fine!
Hello and congrats to Paige on her new job!
- Jamie McCurry
Jamie,
Oh my goodness...hi!!!! I have wanted to get in touch with you for awhile. I got your sweet Christmas card but misplaced it with all of your contact info. That was the first month that Tate was here, so I was in quite a fog and who knows what I did with it? I would love to catch up sometime. Can you e-mail me at strz@flash.net? Hope all is well!
I am jealous! i love ELVIS.
And yes, decorating in the 70's took a major downhill spiral during that time.
Glad you got to spend quality time with Paige. i love college friends b/c they are more special b/c it is your friend and adopted family for that time away from your real family!
What a fun trip! I have been to Memphis as a child, but the trip ended abruptly when my Dad found out we had to pay to get into Graceland. All I have is a lone picture of me in front of the Lisa Marie airplane. Paige and I had and English class together at ACU. Glad to have a mini-update on her success!
Ahh there is nothing better than college buddies. I saw your cute baby across the way at church Sunday. I was looking around for you and now I know why I never saw you. Glad yall had a good time.
I loved Graceland! I'm so glad you got to spend some time with your friend. Those trips are special and so very needed. I've realized that there are so many people that don't keep up with college friends. That is so sad to me. I consider myself extremely lucky!
Just reading this. Behind on my blog reading. ;) My sister is the marketing director for Graceland. If I'd known you were going I'd have gotten you free tics and some perks! My other sister used to live on the grounds, back behind the house. She was married to the caretaker/maintenance guy. To visit her you had to drive through the front gates. Really fun as people were always trying to figure out if you were "someone" or not. Before we moved Mike and I did the tour for the first time. How we grew up there and never went before is a mystery. It was actually pretty cool. Glad you had fun! We haven't been home in a couple of years and I'm missing the BBQ. Rochester style BBQ just doesn't cut it! :) - Jill
Post a Comment