Wade's annual conference was in San Francisco this year, so Will & I tagged along. Last year, it was me and Tate (Will was wombing it at the time) in San Diego, so it was only fair Will got to go this year. Tate had several fun days with friends and Mo Mere & Poppy. Pretty sure he barely missed us. :) But as we were driving to the airport at 5:00 a.m., I was really second guessing it I should even be going. Several different reasons why, but that's not a fun way to start the trip at all. But in the end, I was so glad I went and none of my worries were anything to worry about. :)
For Will's first time to fly, he did outstanding. We lucked out on both flights getting a free extra seat for him, so both times we timed it well and he slept a good portion of the flight.
So back to the trip. A big reason for my nerves was that I had no idea how Will would do since we haven't traveled with him at all yet. I should've known better than doubt my go-with-the-flow-baby. He did great. As long as he got at least one good nap in the room, he handled coming and going really well. Now the time change was a different story. The first two mornings, he was wide awake at 4:45 a.m. Good times there.
The conference was at The Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco. Wow that is a beautiful hotel. Breathtakingly beautiful. I loved walking around and reading about all of the hotel's history. My favorite part of the entire hotel was the little rooftop garden that overlooked the city. Will & I frequented there several times a day. This kiddo loves being outside, so he was often bundled up and happy in the stroller as I enjoyed my morning croissant. Yes I had a morning croissant (and Diet Coke) out on my rooftop garden. Clearly I was on vacation, because it doesn't sound like my"normal" morning at all. Some pics from the view and our daily hangout.
For the last 3 days, it was pretty much just me & Will during the day ready to conquer the city. I had no idea what we would do, and I have to say, that was kind of fun.

The hotel was right in the middle of a residential area called Nob Hill. Every morning, I would go across the street to the adorable little park and walk around. Wow, a city park there is nothing like our big suburban parks. I LOVED the people watching. You really can't see them from this picture, but every single morning, I saw the same elderly couple doing exercise/Tai Chi moves. SO cute! I also a guy practicing what had to be a Broadway-style chorus dance routine. And I saw a super-cool guy in purple Keds practicing some serious ninja moves. Oh I loved that place!
And we got one quick visit in with Aunt Barbara, Amy, Paul, & sweet Baby Audrey out in Oakland. These (2nd cousins??) are six months apart. The funny part of our visit was that any time Audrey cried, Will would start crying as well. Cute.
That day I was pretty proud of myself. Being a total suburbia girl who has never lived in the big city, I think I did pretty good. Taxi to the financial district downtown. Found the BART station. Figured out the BART ticketing (halfway at least...I did forget to slide when I was leaving). Arrived in Walnut Creek on time. And did it all again to get back to the hotel that evening. All by myself with a baby. Go me! :)And there was a fun surprise with this trip. One morning I had the news on and heard that Michelle Obama would be at The Fairmont hotel that day for a political fundraiser. I wasn't sure if I heard it right until I got in the elevator with two men who were clearly Secret Service agents. Will & I played it cool. The entire hotel was buzzing with activity all day long. I had nowhere to be, so I loved just watching everyone else in a frenzy. Secret Service was everywhere. And since I wasn't on the guest list, this was the closest I got to seeing FLOTUS.
And even though it was 11:00 p.m. Texas time and we just "watched" using the airplane wifi the Rangers lose the first game of the World Series, I had to be the last one off the plane to get a pic of Will and the pilot who flew the last leg of his first flight.It was a great trip for all of us. One that did cause some pause as I realized I wouldn't have any new memories with either of my Enright grandparents in this city anymore. I'm thankful for the many memories I have with them growing up that are connected to San Francisco. And I'm looking forward to many more as we take our boys back in years to come.

1 comment:
Great commentary as usual. Love the photos of You/Wade and Will in Sausolito. Looks like he was really enjoying himself. You were such a trooper traveling by yourself with Will. I live here, and don't think I ever did that!!!!
Aunt B
Post a Comment