It's a long story but also one that can be summed up quickly. The last 6+ months have involved some introspective thinking and prayer about the next chapters for me and my family. At the same time, I spent the last year in a BSF study on the book of Isaiah; participated in a great group study on the book, Hole In Our Gospel; and had a wonderful opportunity to attend a Generous Giving conference. All of these kept pointing to something I couldn't shake or get off my mind.
I first learned of Visiting Orphans through an inspiring trip our friends Chelsea & Mark went on in Africa. From that point on, I found myself looking at this group's website pretty regularly. In my mind, I wouldn't be able to go on one of those trips for years down the road until my kids were older.
And then I saw this trip to Haiti. Only eight days. During the summer when sitters are readily available. Hmmmm? So after more prayer and lots of encouragement from Wade, I've decided to join this amazing organization and spend a week of the summer playing with and loving on just a few of the 490,000+ orphans in Haiti.
I will be honest in that the emotions are mixed. I'm so excited and completely confident in my decision to go, but it brings with it a lot of nervousness about stepping out of my comfort zone. And being away from my own family for this long will be a first.
But I kind of feel like I have to do it. I can't shake it.
So for all of blogland to see, I do ask for prayers as I leave at the end of June. Prayers that I can communicate and show the Lord's love and compassion. Prayers for safety and flexibility. Prayers that I come back changed.
If you would like to support this trip, you can make a donation directly to Visiting Orphans on their website here. Designate the June 26-July 3 Haiti trip for Kelly Strzinek. I love the part of the trip where we get to take donations and shop for the orphanage. It will not only provide much-needed supplies but also support their economy.
I appreciate so much the encouragement and excitement I've received from many already. Can't wait to come back and report more!

4 comments:
What a wonderful blessing this trip will be for you and your family, Kelly! You are fully equipped with the love of God to give to every person you touch. I'm praying that the Holy Spirit puts healing in your hands as you love on the people of Haiti!
Kelly,
So incredibly happy for you and proud of you for taking such a huge step! I will be praying for you!!!
Autumn
So glad you decided to do this! Can't wait to hear more about it!
Kelly, I am amazed, this is so big! Can't wait to read about this and will be praying for you - have you left already?
Post a Comment