He started the year barely able to write a T, and he finished the year writing his name even with the "e" the right way. Writing is not his favorite thing to do, and that one took some work. :) And in the same realm of fine motor skills, by the end of the year, he was doing such a better job at coloring. Again he's not a big fan of it, but he made a lot of progress past the scribble scrabble. It takes everything in me not to turn into crazy "you must stay in the lines" mom.
He absolutely LOVED going to Discovery (Science) each day. His favorite section was by far the one on space. We talk about planets, stars, astronauts, etc., on a daily basis now. Maybe NASA is in his future? Other favorite parts of the day were recess, Chapel, Spanish, his Shining Star days, and TOTs days.
This year also included the first time I got "the call" during the school day. He showed no signs when he left that morning of not feeling well, but right in the middle of class one day, he ended up throwing up on the boy standing next to him. That is also what started his love affair with his neon yellow wind shorts (which were part of the extra pair of clothes at the bottom of the backpack).
It was bound to happen, I guess, but this year started the recess games of "playing guns and bad guys." I always ask him if surely he wants to pretend to be the good guy. No thanks, he says. Lord, help me now.
Overall such a great year, and I truly see a difference in his maturity and behavior. I've seen him be a good friend, understand good/bad choices, and show respect to his teachers. At 4 years old, these are not always easy, but I'm thankful for the positive influence of teachers and friends at a great school.
I was a weepy mess on his last day. Can't imagine what emotional shape I'll be in next year...his last year of preschool before the Big K!
First Day of Preschool ~ September 2010
Last Day of Preschool ~ May 2011

No comments:
Post a Comment