Monday, May 28, 2012

Taking For Granted...

Parenthood is a funny thing.  Even though you can't be completely prepared, you know to expect a few things:  endless diapers, crying, adorable smiles, spit up, sleepless nights, and an unbelievable love.

But then there are those things you never would've expected: your kids personality might be totally different than your own, carrying on an adult conversation with complete thoughts will be incredibly challenging if kids are around, and that unbelievable love you have will affect every decision you make for the rest of your life.

Now with both of my boys, I've had to learn some other lessons I never expected.  The lesson of not taking simple things for granted.

With Tate, it was walking, and even just bearing weight and standing. Nowhere on my parenting radar was having a child born with low muscle tone (hypotonia).  Pretty sure I had never even heard of it. We are still incredibly thankful that what he had was treatable with two different sets of orthotics and two+ years of physical therapy and occupational therapy several times a week. I never expected to deal with that. And what it taught me was to never take for granted what a gift it is for your child to walk.

I know every parent is proud when their child walks for the first time.  But oh my word, when you know how hard they had to work at it and how it did not come easily at all, well being proud is an understatement. I still tear up anytime I watch these videos:




So here we are with our second son, and it appears as though there is another lesson to learn. This time it's speech related. And I'm learning to never take for granted your child talking.

The irony is almost laughable. As Will has had to be evaluated  for developmental delays, he scores almost exactly opposite of where Tate's delays fell. Will is at level or above on all gross & fine motor skills, where Tate was significantly delayed. Tate was pretty much at level when it came to speech (and now still talks all of the time), where Will is a good year or so behind.

I'm fully confident that Will is going to be talking at some point and know this is nothing permanent or life-threatening.  I'm thankful for that. But at the same time, it's hard to see your child struggle with and get frustrated by something that should come easily.

And although at times it has been met with my own frustration, herein lies the lesson. I know that I will get just as much joy as the day I saw Tate walk, as the day that is coming one day hopefully soon when Will calls me "Mommy."

I can't wait for that day and will surely not take it for granted.

1 comment:

Candace said...

Thanks for sharing, Kelly. A good reminder for all of us. Can't wait to see the video of him calling you Mommy. I'll cry along with you.:)