Friday, May 09, 2008

What A Week

Where to begin? I’ll save the gory details and give the highlights, which most of the time felt more like lowlights.

The week began with what felt like Round 28 of Tate getting the stomach bug (it was really just the third time, but once is enough with this thing). We took him to get checked out on Monday because he seemed even more lethargic then the previous bouts he’s had. They sent us home after a dose of anti-nausea medicine and with the usual order of clear fluids, rest, and let the virus work itself out.

So Wade leaves town on Tuesday morning for a meeting in Philadelphia. He asks one more time if he should leave. I reassure him, “Don’t worry. We know how this goes. He’ll be fine by tomorrow.” Uh, wrong.

He proceeds to not be able to keep anything down on Tuesday. I start to get worried. I’ve never seen him so lethargic. It was horrible to see him try to crawl around and only be able to hold himself on his elbows or see him try to lie down to go night-night while IN the bathtub.

He wakes up Wednesday morning and proceeds to sip some water. When that immediately came back up, I knew this was getting serious. I had only been up about 45 minutes…no shower, still had on the shirt I had slept in, no make-up, glasses, you get the picture. I take him to the pediatric urgent care center thinking they might give him a quick IV, and we’ll be home in a couple of hours.

Tate continues to become drastically lethargic and is in and out of sleep. For the next three hours, he had a series of X-rays, blood drawn, and a catheter. Yep, a catheter. I have never heard, and hope I will never again hear, that scream that came out of him. It was absolutely horrible and made vaccines look like a walk in the park. It took me, my Mom, and two nurses to hold him down. Horrible. Then to make it worse, they couldn’t get anything out of the catheter. He was all dried up…poor guy.

Then the nurse gives me the lovely news that we need to proceed to the downtown children’s hospital immediately. I could take him there myself or they could hook him up to the IV now, and we could go by ambulance. Thanks, but I’ll take him myself.

After losing more than 10% of his body weight and an afternoon of more blood drawn and two attempts at an IV because his dehydrated veins wouldn’t cooperate, they decide to admit him.

So the quick trip that I thought would only take a couple of hours ended up taking over 48 hours…all while Wade is out of town. Thank goodness my Mom was there to help out because I’m really not sure how I could’ve done it by myself.

Wade got on the first flight home Thursday morning (thank goodness!) and was able to get the full hospital experience for another day.




The whole thing was so scary. Once we knew that the lab work came back negative and it was just dehydration from the rotavirus, I felt a little better. But seeing your child that miserable and in that much pain, while you can’t do anything about it, is absolutely heartbreaking.

I did get one of those forced special perspective moments out of the whole thing, though. My usual stellar sleeper could not calm down enough to sleep in the hospital baby crib Wednesday night. They brought in a full hospital bed so that I could hold him and sleep with him (after signing a waiver that I acknowledged that the AAP thinks I’m a horrible parent for bringing my child in the bed and risking his life…whatever!). Needless to say, Tate got a full night’s sleep, but I was up pretty much the whole time.

It’s not often that I’m forced to be that still and quiet for that long. In fact, it was pretty surreal as I remembered the last time I held my baby in a hospital bed. At only 7.8 pounds then, it was a little bit easier. But I soaked in every minute as I thanked God for giving this little guy to me and for knowing that he would be OK.

Walking the halls of a children’s hospital will provide a ton of perspective as you realize that it could be so much harder. Kids with cute little bald heads from chemo, parents that probably just heard some bad news crying in the waiting room, and floors with “ology” names that you hope you never have to go to. Lots of perspective.

But he was discharged this morning, and Tate got to be wheeled out in a super-cool wagon. I think he was quite ready to jump out of it and into the car if he had to.



Then we were home in time to all three have a WONDERFUL afternoon nap. Tate is already getting back to his normal self as you can see from the video in the car tonight. I think it’s Tateish for “I’m sure those people at the hospital were all very nice, but why in the world, did they have to put all of those things in me and poke and prod me every four hours?”



I hope I don’t ever have to go through something like that again, but I’m also extremely thankful that he is so much better already and we have our little boy home again.

19 comments:

Linda said...

Oh Kelly, my heart goes out to you. Having lived through rotavirus and a hospital stay with little Jon, I can remember all those same feelings...Bless his heart! I wish we would have been at a Children's hospital. Our experience was horrible. I hope that you all can get some rest and that he can now heal at home where he feels safe...

I also thank God every day for my healthy children. I don't know if I could endure the sadness of seeing my child poked and proded all their lives...I can't even watch the St. Judes telethons. :o(

Big hugs and love to you all!

TTidmore said...

Wow. What a trying week. We are glad to hear things are better.

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

i have been praying for you guys, it warms my heart to hear his sweet, happy voice after such a long few days. Enjoy this weekend, get some rest and lots of cuddles in for today.

God bless you all!
susan

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelly & Wade - what a frightening and tiring time for you, I am really sorry, but I was glad to read that Tate is out of hospital and well again.

Hope you'll all have a relaxing weekend to be rewarded for that!

Lisa said...

Oh, poor little Tate - what a scary experience! I am so sorry that he (and you!) and to go through that, but thank the Lord that he is home now & feeling much better. I can only imagine how frightening it was for all of you.

Love the video of Tate's recap of the whole experience!

Now, relax, hug your little boy tight, and enjoy the weekend together - HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Jennifer said...

Poor thing! I hate that both of you had to experience that (and without Wade at that!) I am so glad he is feeling better though.

Riss said...

I'm so glad Tate is feeling better! Wow, what an experience though. Hopefully it will only be a one-time thing. And thank goodness for family living nearby.

Wendy said...

Poor little guy! I hate the thought of little ones in the hospital. I'm so glad he's doing better (and you guys too!).

Shannon said...

Sooooo glad Tate is better! I wish we lived closer so I could be there to help you...although I think I might have been more of a hinderance with the 2 kiddos!!

That video is great!!

Robyn said...

That is just horrible! I'm so glad that he's better and home. What a relief! I hope he continues to get better and better. And, I hope your Mother's day was happy and sweet having your little boy at home.

Monica said...

So glad you were home for mother's day and not with your baby in the hospital. WOW what an experience!! Poor little guy. Glad you went with your gut Wednesday morning and went to the Dr. when you did. You are such a great mom.

Laura Scott said...

Kelly, I know exactly what that is like. When Bradley was 16 months old we ended up in the Abilene hospital for two nights hooked up to an IV because of rota virus. It is very scary when your poor baby can't stay awake. And, trying to find a good vein on a dehydrated baby is torture for both baby and mommy. I am glad Tate is okay. I laughed when I saw the picture of Tate in his hospital bed because we have a very similar picture with the light up ring stackers. Hope Tate doesn't get this yucky virus again!

Jody said...

We are so thankful he is home and on the mend! Seeing your baby like that is just awful!
He is just too cute in that video!
We can't wait to see you again!
Hugs,
Janell

Wendy said...

In response to your comment on my blog...Now, I'm the one cracking up because I was very close to tagging you with that one for the reason that I was curious to see if you and I would have similar lists -- just because I've always felt like we have similar skill sets/personalities. Now I know!

Anonymous said...

A little late here, but BLESS YOUR HEARTS! I'm so thankful he's okay and I am amazed I held it together through that post. I cry pretty easily these days (hormones, you know)and that just broke my heart. Glad your sweet boy is home now.

Phillips Family said...

Oh my, bless your heart! What a rough, rough week. I hope that the three of you were able to rest, relax, and enjoy the weekend!

Kendra said...

I was late in reading this one . . I'm so sorry you had to go through that!!!! Yikes, Kelly!! No wonder I didn't get to see you Thursday morning! SO very thankful you ALL are on the mend. I know you will never forget, but thankfully Tate will much sooner. Mama's memory banks never forget when their babies hurt. Blessings . .

Kristen OQ said...

I am glad you all made it home and he is doing so much better now -- we were praying for all of you! Having lived through a several day hospital stay from rotavirus with Seth, I remember how hard it is and how helpless you feel.

Hope to see you again soon!

mdlg said...

I'm glad Tate is doing better. He's tough...no rotavirus will stop him.