Monday, May 05, 2008

17 Months

How is it possible that Tate is already 17 months old? The months seem to go faster and faster.




And who knew it could be so exciting to see your kid stand up? Yes, I’m realizing there are true simple pleasures in life. He still has to hold on to something and hasn’t been able to get around while standing, but he seems to really love the new perspective. He pulls up to stand at the window sills to watch Macy outside. And a new part of his routine is to stand up and look out his bedroom window after his nap each day and watch all of the fun.




I’ve got a whole post in itself coming soon about what the next parts of his physical therapy process include. He really is making progress; we just have a lot more to do to get his legs and ankles strong enough to support him.

But for a kid with low muscle tone and mobility delays, he sure can get around. He is all over the place and has recently figured out how to climb up the stairs. It’s pretty funny to watch as his coordination is a little wobbly. When he gets all the way to the top, he loves to clap for himself and wants you to clap for him too.


Next topic…food. Oh my. We have our good days and bad days, but the bad days almost send me over the edge. Tate definitely knows what he likes to eat. And if he likes it, he LOVES it. (Yogurt, milk, bananas, waffles, chicken nuggets, crackers, spaghetti with meat sauce, Chipotle burrito, Pei Wei chicken and noodles, and any dessert). But if he sees a new food and doesn’t recognize it, he immediately determines he doesn’t like it. This makes for some very interesting meal times and a very limited choice of food.

And to add even more fun to meal time, we are working hard on teaching that you can’t throw your food once you’re done with it or if you don’t want to eat it. Any tips from the veterans out there? Here he is eating a new favorite…Spanish rice with guacamole mixed in. Random I know, but he likes it??? Yes, we’re also working on teaching Tate how to use a fork. As you can see, it’s not going so well.


I’ve been so intrigued watching him become interested in so many more things. He loves his fire truck and cars. He’s figured out to make a train noise and hand motion for the choo-choo when we see the big train on 377. He finally figured out to get the balls down the chute on his ball pounder. And he loves standing up and playing with the animals in his Little People farm.

Speaking of animals…we became members of the Fort Worth Zoo and went three times this month. (Side note, if you live in the area and plan to go a few times, it’s well worth it.) We’ve had gorgeous Spring days for it lately, and Tate seems to like it. I think. He kind of just looks at the animals, or at the waterfalls, or at the airplanes flying by. Oh well!

We’re also working on animal sounds. Right now, when he makes the sounds they all sound alike. But, he seems to enjoy watching me look silly as I make all of the sounds. Once I go through the monkey, lion, and elephant sounds, he does the sign for “more” and wants me to do it all over again.



And here are some videos of him playing. We actually find him alone a lot looking at himself in the mirror and giggling. It’s pretty funny.







So that’s the past month in the world of Tate. It’s so hard to believe he’s going on 18 months now. Reminder to self…slow down and soak it all in…even while he’s throwing food at you. :)

7 comments:

Audra Laney said...

His laugh is so precious. I could eat him up!

Have you heard of the new cookbook for moms of picky eaters? I think it's called Deceptively Delicious or something similar. I know they sell it at Target. I've heard of several moms say it saved their sanity!

Linda said...

Let me give you some hope for your picky eater. My little boy didn't ever eat baby food (I mean NONE) or anything that wasn't a cheerio or in crunch form till he was almost 2. It was FRUSTERATING and I cried a lot--definitely the most challenging part of my mommyhood so far. But now he'll eat salmon and beets AND SUSHI! I just kept trying...I too use the Sneaky Chef cookbook (almost the same thing as DD) for at least 2 meals a week. Its AWESOME for getting some good foods in sneakily. ;o)

Tate is so cute Kelly! I look forward to your update after your appt...We'll be praying for him.

OH and on the food throwing...I'd read somewhere that its all part of some sort of (annoying- lol) learning stage. What I did was just immediately take the food away and say 'all done'. I always find the more attention you give a bad habit (saying no over and over), the more they wanna do it. :o) But I'm still learning on the job over here. ;o)

~Big hugs!

Keri said...

I loved reading about Tate's new tricks and discoveries. He is getting sooooo big and smart.

Jennifer said...

He keeps getting cuter and cuter!!

Janell said...

Kelly~
What a GREAT post!! I love seeing him on the move! He is just so handsome! Addison will be one lucky little girl ; )!
Food: I have NOTHING for you! Addison throws EVERYTHING and it is maddening b/c she needs the calories! I know you understand that. Alex, eats like it is the end of the world!

Miss you.
Janell

Phillips Family said...

That Tate sure is a cutie! Yeah for him for working on his standing skills and yeah for you for all the work you have been doing to make him stronger!

The only advice for food I have is keep introducing him to foods. I hear it takes 10-12 tries for a kid to like a new food. Also, don't ever let him know the eating (or lack of) drives you crazy. Isaac isn't a great eater variety-wise, but he is slowly expanding his horizons. I make sure I never (almost never) engage in any food battles with him. He must try at least one bite of everything on his plate (we began this rule once he was older than Tate currently is) and always make sure to have something on his plate he does like. Evelyn is a big food thrower and we immediately take her tray away when that happens. This is supposed to cure the throwing habit, but she is a stubborn little girl....so it hasn't yet. We are hopeful though!

Lisa said...

I can't believe our little guys are nearly 1 1/2 years old already!

Little Tate has been working so hard at physical therapy & it shows! He's doing so well, Kelly!

We love the zoo too & are members of the National Zoo!

Love the videos of your little man. And I'm going to take your advice - slow down & soak it all in (time is just going way too fast these days!)