Saturday, June 14, 2008

Florida Florida Florida

I was a 24-year-old just learning about politics without the context of a grade or classroom, and I remember watching the 2000 election coverage until 3:00 a.m. That was also my introduction to Tim Russert and his famous "Florida. Florida. Florida." on the tiny white board. Since then, he has been my preferred political journalist by far. He always seemed fair, objective, and very gifted at what he did. He also was very skilled at helping the non-political expert, like myself, feel like they somewhat understood what was going on in the crazy world of Washington D.C.

His surprising death left me very sad yesterday for his family and for all of those that have enjoyed watching his coverage.

I am also reminded of my passion for awareness about heart disease. Even after working for the American Heart Association for over 5 years, it sadly takes situations like this to remind me how fragile our bodies are.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Very sad. I was watching Fox News yesterday (during nap time) when the news broke of Tim's Russert's untimely passing, and even though I didn't know a great deal about him, I was in tears. He just seemed like such a warm, friendly & fair man, who really enjoyed what he did. I loved that he was proud to be a devout Roman Catholic & he supported the church & Catholic education. I guess Tim Russert's surprising death really hit me because he was 5 years younger than my father & just a few years older than my mother. What a sad Father's Day for his son & his father (who is still alive.) Times like these make us realize how fragile life really is.

Jennifer said...

I too enjoyed him most of all and was so sad to hear of his death.

Linda said...

We are NBC news watchers and I always loved Tim's gentle character. He was one of those people you could just feel were really genuine.

So sad...life is so very fragile. I try to cherish it each day.