Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The LONG version of Tate’s treatment update

There have been some interesting steps we’ve taken this past month regarding Tate’s physical therapy treatment but before I go into those, I figured I should explain what we know so far. (Be forewarned, this is a really long post, but I need to get it all documented before I forget.)

It is still confusing and causes questions on my part, but what we understand Tate to have is hypotonia. It isn’t a medical diagnosis, but a description of symptoms. It’s also called low muscle tone and/or floppy baby syndrome. You can read more about it here.

From about his sixth month on, we noticed that he wouldn’t bear weight on his legs. Then by his ninth month, it was something we (and the pediatrician) had more valid concerns regarding and were sent off for a physical therapy evaluation. When I took Tate for his first session, I never would’ve thought that eight months later, I would still be taking him there twice a week. Lots of people ask how a child does physical therapy. Basically, it’s age-appropriate "play" using targeted muscles. But the biggest part is that I can learn what to do with him at home.

Over the months, the therapy has evolved as he has learned more and achieved milestones. We’ve gone from sitting up, transitioning to sitting, bearing weight on all 4's, army crawl, all 4's crawl, bearing weight on legs, standing, to the latest of cruising. Tate has shown a very distinct pattern in that he has a delay with a skill, but once he builds enough strength and gets his confidence at it, he’s off and running…so to speak.

His physical therapist has been incredibly helpful to him…and me. There have been several sessions that Tate has had a blast, and I’ve been the one in tears. In fact the entire team at Our Children’s House is absolutely wonderful. They celebrate each new skill with all of us. It’s so refreshing being around people that understand the excitement as he masters a new skill. And it’s also wonderful to have people not mind when your child is screaming (loudly) in their face because he just doesn’t want to try to crawl or stand.

So back to the new parts of his treatment. After a lot of discussion and various concerns, we decided to have an evaluation with a pediatric neurologist last month. For many kids, the hypotonia is a symptom of a more serious disorder (muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, etc.). We figured better safe than sorry. The neurologist’s thoughts were that it’s not on the scale of a serious disorder, he does have gross motor skill delays, he is showing great progress with physical therapy, but there's not much more to do right now. We go back in November for another follow-up. At that time, he’ll determine if we need to go forward with an MRI and other tests. We’re hoping that won’t have to happen!


The other biggie this month was…if I’m being honest…the one I probably had the hardest time with. About two weeks ago, Tate got custom-made leg braces. Wade calls him his Star Wars Storm Trooper boots. We were hoping he would only need ankle support, but these help with more of the support he needs for his legs, feet, ankles and to help him not lock his knees.

It was more the idea of leg braces that I had a hard time with. Going through all of this with him has brought so many different emotions that I didn’t think I’d have to face until later into his childhood. Those feelings of not wanting your kid to be different, not wanting them to struggle more than other kids, wondering why there's so much pressure on boys to be big and strong, not wanting to see him so frustrated, and mostly not wanting him to miss out on what he “should” be doing at his age. It does make it easier knowing that he doesn't have any of these feelings himself (just me) and that we want to do anything and everything to help him. The great news is that he doesn’t seem phased by the braces at all (serious answered prayer!), and we've already seen improvements.

And the most recent thing is that we’re about to go through an evaluation with ECI to make sure he’s doing OK nutritionally and to see if the low muscle tone is connected to any speech delays. Right now he seems to be borderline in those areas, but I’m sure we’ll know more in the weeks to come.

So here’s my disclaimer (I always give disclaimers to things…my PR background, I guess). I know this is nothing compared to what many families have to go through. Nothing about Tate’s treatment has shown anything close to a chronic or life-threatening illness. For that, I’m extremely thankful. And at the same time, the last 10 months have still been a roller coaster of emotions.

Of course I wish we didn’t have to go through any of this, but it has forced me to slow down and pay attention to so many little things that I’m not sure I would’ve otherwise. I get a lot more focused one-on-one time with Tate during his sessions and at home when we’re working on different skills. And I get to celebrate when all of his hard work pays off and he learns something new. As I’ve said before, I had NO idea that seeing your child stand could be so heart-warming. Who knows what I’m going to do when he starts walking on his own?



I’ve realized even more lately that his headstrong and stubborn personality actually serve him very well while going through physical therapy. I am already proud beyond words of all that he’s accomplished, when I know he would’ve preferred doing something very different with our T/Th mornings. This is a road I never thought we would be going down, but I’ve learned a lot about myself along the way while getting to focus even more time and energy on this little boy who melts my heart everyday. For that, I’m extremely thankful.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Kelly.
I survived multiple surgeries before 14 months, casts, and the ugliest braces you've ever seen--Buster Brown High Top shoes and metal shanks to the knee, so Tate's braces are looking pretty cool!!!!!
Also, your newly graduated from HS cousin spent 3 weeks in NICU, delayed speach, and look at him now...
This too shall pass and in 17 years you'll look back and think what was I concerned about?!!

He's looking great and hopefully I'll get a chance to see you all next week.

Love
Aunt Barb

Jennifer said...

like you said on my blog, I feel everything you mention. The list of emotions you describe are feelings I have daily in regards to Cooper's speech issues. I too am so thankful that it isn't more serious and at times I even feel guilty for being upset over our situation. It's constantly back and forth with my feelings. You are right that none of us want our kids to be different and it's so hard when they are and we can't immediately fix it. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It's my hope that one day you and I will both look back on these posts, only to be reminded of the struggles our boys are facing. I hope that at some point they catch up and no longer have a delay. Hang in there! I'm adding you guys to my prayers.

Unknown said...

It's great that you guys are so proactive and sound like you have a really good network of support for yourselves and Tate! He is a precious little guy, I can tell from his happy face in all his pictures! Being a parent is like "wearing your heart on the outside of your body" (I don't remember where I got that quote.) I will also add your family to our prayer list!

And if you like, all our boys are dressing up as Star Wars characters for Halloween. (Even Caden, I think as Yoda.) Anyway, Tate can be a Storm Trooper and he'll be the coolest one of the bunch!

Jody said...

Kelly~

When Tate walks I will cry! I just love and adore that little boy. You guys are just awesome people! We always knew that we thought you and Wade were just cool.

I can't wait for Tate to actually KNOW how much his parents love him. It is awesome! You are doing a phenominal job, Kelly. Tate gets frustrated and you handle it so well. As I watch, I am amazed because my patience often run thin with mine.

Lots of hugs,
Janell

Linda said...

God put this special little soul in your lives because he knew you would be the perfect angel for him. Little Jon's speech has always been very delayed. I still cry when people don't understand him. It makes me so sad, but I know the steps we are taking today will help him tomorrow. Like Janell said, he will one day know the enourmous amount of care and love you went through to help him...he is truly blessed.

Many hugs Momma!

Kendra said...

I'm glad you were able to put all your thoughts into a post . . .I understand the road you are on - it was one I never thought I'd be on with my Tyler man, but the Lord has been GOOD through it, and has taught me, blessed me, humbled me, and opened my eyes as a therapist, as a mommy, and just as a child of God. I think little Tate man is the CUTEST, and I'm so proud of the progress he has made! And just so you know, you are one of the "favorite mammas" that get talked about very favorably at OCH! You bless the staff there, and so does your little guy.

Lisa said...

Thank you for sharing Tate's treatment & your thoughts. I don't know you in "real life", but have come to know you & your little boy through your blog. Tate has made such amazing progress & those leg braces will further help him. I can only imagine the roller coaster ride of emotions you're on. Just know that we are all here to support & cheer on your little guy (and you!)

Kristen OQ said...

Tate is such a lucky little boy that is benefitting from having smart, determined, loving, and nurturing parents! You guys are doing such a good job.

Thanks again for all of your hard work this week at SS. We couldn't have managed without you both!

Brooks Inc. said...

Kelly-

I read every word of this...and Continue to pray that you will feel the Lord's hand holding yours as you walk his road of parenting! What a beautiful boy you have...What incredible parents Tate has!

I will rejoice with you guys at each milestone! Sure love you-

BJB

Monica said...

I am so proud of the progess Tate man has made!! I am so thankful for places like OCH. You are a great Mommy to that little boy.

Anonymous said...

Kelly, this was such a heartwarming post of love and pride and caring - I read it back when you wrote it and kept it in the feedreader to comment when I have time.

I kept thinking that all that Tate needs to develop in fighting and strength now, will make him a very special grownup who will never give up just if he's faced with problems - and I guess he'll also have learned this by his parents.

I loved the "Star Wars Storm Trooper boots" - if you can't win over a thing at the moment, change it into what you want it to be with using imagination...

Have been praying for Tate and both of you.

Wani said...

I think I could have written this. I can really understand how you feel. Our stories are very similar. I feel guilty for having such a hard time with everything because it could be so much worse. But everyone's experiences are their own and we can't downplay what we're going through just because someone else has had it worse. What a blessing that Tate is continuing to progress. We're seeing little improvements here and there and sometimes I'm excited with the things that our little Joe is doing - other times I'm so overwhelmed with all the things he "should" be doing and isn't. Like you said, its a roller coaster. But we have to keep moving forward and helping our little guys as much as we can. Its all we can do.